NYCKS acquisitions - Something for everyone!

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Guys,

As you know, many of us went to the NYC Show last week. I saw a great many makers, collectors, and fellow members there. I only wish I could have hung out even more, but I was too busy scarfing up great knives! :)

But before I even left this Terzuola arrived. I just got around to the photos now. An old familiar face..

orig.jpg

It's exactly as one would expect in all aspects. :)

Lourens Prinsloo had this little guy on the table, and it didn't take much to convince me to take it home. It's a favorite pocket carry.

orig.jpg

Great polishing on the flats and perimeter of the blade, with rubbed finish on the bevels. Shweet.

Next stop was a visit to Dennis Blaine from Cutlery Specialties :D. We met, we talked, we bargained, and I came home with something especially suited to my collection. I LOVE a 'guardless' knife, and this one has *such* a pleasing shape. It stopped me cold. I love that flame etch, and the whole damn knife was forged from a file. Daniel himself emailed me to say it was from the early nineties. Cool!

orig.jpg

That sheep horn grips like nobody's business!

Coming back around, I spotted this one off in the far corner of Hank Rummell's cabinet. What beautiful lines and curves! "Hank, can I see this one? Who is it?" Ahhhhhhh..... the sought-after Phil Boguszewski. Lockback, ehhh? I *like* lockbacks! And that said, this one CLACKS into position loud enough to wake my son. I could open and close this all day long....

orig.jpg

But that's not all! The BIG thumbstud spins free and pivots while opening. Cool factor=10! :D

OK, I'm almost finished. But I have been chatting with a new dealer from the Northeast who is going to carry this next maker's work regularly and has NOTHING but top-level stuff on his table. Paul Shindler is starting up a site called www.KnifeLegends.com, and I am helping him with photos. In return, he helped me choose this fantabulous twin-blade by Ryuchi Kawamura. Paul sent him a photo and asked if he could duplicate the Remington R-423 pattern. I don't know much about originals, but this one is SOOOOO clean and well-made I couldn't resist. Absolutely flawless. Remember the name if you can.

orig.jpg

I like variety, and each of these represent quality in their niche. Why limit yourself!? ;)

Coop

Bery bery nice Coop! :D

I especially like the Boguszewski and the Kawamura! Great stuff.

-Nick-

Great catches, Coop!
My personal favorite is the Winkler.

WOW!!! Nice haul to say the least. Simply one of the nicest Winkler's I have seen. I like his stuff, love this one. That Prinsloo and Kawamura are simply stunning as well. The Prinsloo's always amaze me with the quality of their locks and finish work and the slipjoint does indeed appear flawless.

Jim,
Wow! Now I am glad I was not up there.
(I hate competing with people I know (otherwise friends) for knives.)
Some great choices that I would see making for myself:D.

Welllll, SOMEBODY had a good time. Seriously, nice catches. What is the steel on that two-blade, if I may ask?

Beautiful slip joint. And that Winkler was one I almost bought last year, and eyed again this past Blade Show. I was kinda sad and kinda glad that I didn't see it at Dennis's table this year, it would have been too tempting. Glad it went to you.

Beautiful photographs, and a great haul of knives . Thanks for posting - the real strong point of these forums for me, is the chance to see images of knives that I would not normally see - and your images are as good as they get.

Stephen

You did real good Coop!
I think I got to see and handle all of those knives except for the Terzuola.
If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be the Winkler, but they're all great. You have a very good eye, but hey we already knew that. ;)

It was good to see you at the show Coop. Looks like you really cleaned up. I think my favorite of your haul is the Kawahura, I wish you had shown it to me in person. It looks stunning. The photos are really good too.
I've Know Paul Schindler for many years and I'm glad to see he's starting a web site. He has very good taste and a keen eye. He is a good man to do business with and I wish him good fortune in the venture. BOB

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments. I got into this knife world by collecting, and started my photo interest BECAUSE I wanted to share my knives with others. I still enjoy both.

I posted this haul on every forum I frequent. Sorry. ;) Exuberance has no limitations...!

Even my wife loved them all and approved. Her fave is the Ryuchi, too. :D (I told her the Winkler knife had a sheath made of "rawhide covered with brain tan deerskin fringe and insert" from Dan. She backed off and said "Brain? Enough is enough. Put that thing away....!" ;) :eek: )

Coop

Back