Nylon Pivot Washer vs. Copper Pivot Washer

Would you fine gents, replace your original nylon washers from Emerson to a Copper one, Yes Why? and Why Not?

not me either.

the std ones work just fine.

imho the nylon is gonna open smoother than the copper, it has more lubricity.

therefore, to me, the only pro to copper would be strength and the nylon ones dont have a problem in that regard, so why switch?

Thanks for the replies gents, for me it's more on the aesthetic side and much tougher material sandwiching the blade but as you said nylon works well as well.

My benchmade has copper washers and it opens just fine....O wait a minute just dont get it wet.

I like phosphour bronze washers better, but the plasticy ones work fine.
But they still bug me a bit for some reason(the polymer ones).

When you think of Polymers, think about H&K and Glock. :)

EEK, I tend to side with my friend who refers to it as the Block(chunky and lacking styling).
But yes, they ARE tough; I'm just a sucker for metal.:cool:

You would have to be sure that the new phosphorus bronze washers were the same thickness and same inside diameter and outside diameter or slightly smaller would work for OD but no larger, especially on some models. Using a bigger outside diameter can affect the lock. Don't go there.

It isn't a matter of just buying some from a supplier and sticking them in there. If they are not the right thickness and don't have a 1/4" hole in the center you won't get em in there anyway.

PB is generally thought by many to be best. I don't use them. I use teflon or nylatron. Never had a single problem with them. PB can be smooth after a break in but not as good as teflon from the start or nylatron after they break in and they tend to break in faster than PB.

STR

You would have to be sure that the new phosphorus bronze washers were the same thickness and same inside diameter and outside diameter or slightly smaller would work for OD but no larger, especially on some models.

STR

I usually just drill out to the correct diameter and sand down to the correct thickness if need be(thank God for micrometers!).

Yeah you can try that. Sometimes its difficult to negotiate a nice flat side though which can lead to blade play. A lot of folks think they can just buy a washer they see and stick it right in. It isn't so prevalent with EKI since Ernie uses thicker washers than most but with many others I get for work I can tell in a matter of a few minutes they replaced the washers that came on it. Some are much wider at the pivot than the spacer in the rear for example. I think many just think there is some set standard they all live by or something. I was just making sure in case he is not as much a knife nut as some of us that hang around here are you know? :thumbup:

STR

Back