NYS LEO exemption

I can't find a thing about this, and no one locally seems to know. Is there a NYS exemption that allows LEOs to carry automatics, i.e. Microtechs?

tom19176

Gold Member
PL 265.20 then excepitions 1 and 2...A police officer or certain peace officers can, also anyone with a hunting, fishing or trapping license( ecepition #6).....what is your status?

tom19176 said:
PL 265.20 then excepitions 1 and 2...A police officer or certain peace officers can, also anyone with a hunting, fishing or trapping license( ecepition #6).....what is your status?

Hypothetically speaking, how about a federal agent?

tyr_shadowblade

Gold Member
Depends on the agency . . . if you're a Postal Inspector, no problem! However, if you're with the FBI, a knife like that would really screw up the "clean cut" image they want all field agents to project. Other agencies, check with your supervisor to ascertain that you won't be violating official or unwritten policy.

Most police chiefs do NOT want their officers carrying automatic knives or oversized fixed blades, as it presents a "poor public image" and it'd be a PR nightmare if you actually hadta use it!

Look into a Spyderco "Civilian" or "Police" folder instead. . .

tom19176

Gold Member
As per the penal law Feds are Ok, but I agree with the other answer that there maybe internal regs against it. The NYPD patrolman's Guide directs an officer not to carry knives for use as a per se weapon, so any boss could easlier interpet that to include switchblades....it would not be a violation of the penal law, but it could reduce your vacation time, if your agency penalized you in the same manner.....