o-ring. chain,,,,,,good?

I was cleaning up some motorcycle chain for some Damascus. But it occurred to me that it's an O-ring style chain, the newer type. I'm thinking that's not going to work for Damascus. Your thoughts? Thanks

Well, if you put the chain in the forge and heat it red hot that should burn the o-rings out as well as the grease that might be held inside. Then soak in a good solvent for more cleaning - wouldn't that allow it to work? Understand, I've NEVER made an Damascus - just this week did a couple of San Mai blades so it's best to wait for the experts to chime in with real knowledge.

Well, if you put the chain in the forge and heat it red hot that should burn the o-rings out as well as the grease that might be held inside. Then soak in a good solvent for more cleaning - wouldn't that allow it to work? Understand, I've NEVER made an Damascus - just this week did a couple of San Mai blades so it's best to wait for the experts to chime in with real knowledge.
I've already got them cut up and weld it together in a bundle. So I will probably try one anyway. Thanks for your reply, and good luck.

Back