O.T. Made it home safe & sound from PA.

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
Yeah, I think if parents have no discipline or self governance, their kids sure won't. (not saying this applies to your situation, just got me thinking, and I'm gonna have my first kid in October, so I muse on parenting a bunch now--sobering...)

I think TV or Ritalin is a sore replacement for actual parenting. My parents were poor when I was growing up, so we did little more than walk in the woods, fish&hunt, sled riding, archery. all these cost remarkably little, and the investment that counted was the time they spent with me, not the $.

I damn sure didn't come this far to sit around in a box (room) in a box (house) and watch a box (TV). Gotta get out and get dirty in the biggest room of all!

Keith

Keith I agree whole heartedly. Hell, I played to hard to give my foks much trouble and if and when I did and I got outta hand the old amn or mom was always there with a belt to straighten my ass out and quick too.
Didn't need no stinkin Drs or anti abuse people around back then and in my opinion the kids were better for it.
Although I have to admit there was a few times when disipline and abuse got sideways with my old man when I was gettin a beatin. Mom gave me spankins and they hurt bad enough.
I got even with the old man for slappin me over a double bed when I was about 6-7 years old though.
He did it again when I was 15 and I beat the $hit outta him, meant to kill him, but mom wouldn't let me.
I've been glad over the years that she didn't, but the old man never messed with me or my mom again.
The bastard had it coming.

Sheesh, Yvsa, there's noting I can say about all that pain. That story has been repeated for a thousand years. I'm glad you made it through.

You know, on one hand, abusers enjoy the code of silence, of 'nobodies business', and we need to find out if criminal acts are being done to children. On the other hand, I know enough about how the system works that if I had a vendetta and was the head of the investigative team, I think I could make a case of abuse out of nearly EVERY HOME IN AMERICA.

munk

My father was an abusive disciplinarian for many years. He seemed to want to beat into me a fear of being beaten by him or anyone else!

It did not work. It just made me tough and mad, but slow to anger unless physical violence made it necessary to fight.

BTW he and I finally became friends when I got up one day, from one of his blows, and told him that if he ever touched me again, I would put him in the hospital for a very long time.

He laughed and told me that he had been waiting for me to say that.

I have never hit either of my sons, nor my wife. Nor have they hit me, but we have done some healthy yelling!

Bill Marsh

Marsh, you've never struck me as anything but gentle and a gentlemen. I don't know how kids make it out, but they do. You know, God is great.

How bout that lady and guy who kept the kid in a closet?

I remember the guy next door used to beat his kid if the kid lost to me in a fight.

How was it with you all? I was born in 56. If you got in a fight, and quit, the fight was over. Remember, "How Green was My Valley?" Teach the kid to fight and he did OK one on one. But today, IT IS NOT ONE ON ONE. The punks even take pride in their pack.

munk

Over five hundred abuse, neglect, or exploitation investigations over ten years. Most Social Workers last a year if that. 3 dead kids among the the cases.

Now I'm finding out the Doctors do worse to kids, adults, and the elderly and their code of silence keeps their deeds hidden tighter than a child molesting priest.

Now I'm finding out the Doctors do worse to kids, adults, and the elderly and their code of silence keeps their deeds hidden tighter than a child molesting priest.
:( :barf:

Yep, good docs will tell you--if you have a loved one that is in the hospital keep an eye on EVERYTHING they do to them. Keep a list of the meds they are allergic to and make sure all on duty staff get a copy and that the appropriate allergy bracelet etc. gets attached. Wouldn't hurt to write with a marker on his/her skin the name of the procedure they are going to get, and while you're at it the side of the body they're SUPPOSED to cut(or the correct limb to amputate). No joke, this stuff really happens.:(

My Dad went in for the Roto Rotor of the Carotid arteries- a common procedure for old goats. They didn't bother to check his heart- no angio plasty, and he had a mild heart attack during the operation. After that they noticed the heart arteries needed work so they did the bypass they should have done to start. He had a mild stroke. He lay there over a week because they had to do so much. Strapped in place with his bad back, this was murder. Now he's going in again for the other carotid artery and is none too happy...oh yeah..infection on the IV shunt...was a nice follow up when he finally did make it home.

They are trying to sell their house in tucson. Pretty neat place, near the monument. THey've moved to Green Valley. anyway, he requested the phone company forward calls to his new number. After a series of misteps by the phone company, they put a notice on the door of his for-sale home saying they could not correct the problem because they couldn't get inside to see the wiring!! They then turned off service to his new number. The difference between these corporations, one in phones, one in hearts, isn't the mistakes but the consequences.

munk

Back