Obenauf's Folders--Question

TJC

Which would you prefer from this great maker? A liner lock or a frame lock. And quickly tell me why. Thanks :confused:

Had a few of both the liner and framelock variations. If you really want a vault, go with the framelock. The linerlocks are a bit more attractive due to bolsters and handle material. If I had to decide for myself, probably the framelock. They are both excellent, there's no wrong answer.

I've had a couple of each and I would go with the linerlock. IMO they look better than the framelocks which I think are a little bland. They are all very well made and I can't image what you would do with a knife that would cause one of his linerlocks to fail.

Same here......had both........and I also can't imagine what would cause them to fail. That said, I really, really like his framelocks. Either one will make you happy though!:D

Mike makes an excellent knife, framelock or liner. I have a couple of his liner locks and really love them. I would say it comes down to "feel." I like the handle material on the liner locks cause it gives me a warmer and gripper feel. It's goning to come down to feel and look. Both knives would have the same handle shape, so it really depends on the look you prefer. I personally find ti bolsters and handle material scales slightly more attractive.

JR

I have Mike's first frame lock in my collection, it is an outstanding piece of work, one of the best I own. I imagine he has only gotten better at making them over the last year or so, and I have seen some examples with sculptured handles that are quite stunning in their own right. Get the best; frame lock.

I've collected 3 of his framelock model 2 solid Ti handle (lge sml minnie). Outstanding quality, beauty and value. The lockup is rock solid; consistent placement. I had to pare down my meager collection to obtain these & do not regret the departure of some better known labels. Obenauf's design and blade to handle ratio push all the right buttons for me. His framelocks rival those of some wellknown (and more expensive) makers.

I faced the same issue when I was getting my obenauf. Everyone raves about the framelock etc (as good as the lock-up on the sebbie etc etc). But in the end, I went for the linerlock. Mike said that his linerlocks were also good, and wouldn't fail. Mike made mine with extra thick liners and frankly I just can't see them failing. Personally, I find bare framelocks a little "cold", so I went for the classic ti bolsters n carbon fibre look, and got a nice thick blade with a false edge.

No regrets whatsoever.

Well, except I just realised that Mike doesn't dove-tail the bolsters.:p

I faced the same issue when I was getting my obenauf. Everyone raves about the framelock etc (as good as the lock-up on the sebbie etc etc). But in the end, I went for the linerlock. Mike said that his linerlocks were also good, and wouldn't fail. Mike made mine with extra thick liners and frankly I just can't see them failing. Personally, I find bare framelocks a little "cold", so I went for the classic ti bolsters n carbon fibre look, and got a nice thick blade with a false edge.

No regrets whatsoever.

Well, except I just realised that Mike doesn't dove-tail the bolsters.:p

I have a small model 2 in S30V framelock. I prefer the frame lock for it's strength.:cool: :eek: ;) :p

As a personal preference I prefer the looks and feel of CF or G10 scales over bare titanium handles, I would go for his liner locks. A small Model 2 with bolsters and CF scales, to be precise :) The way Mike fits them, they are bulletproof.

However if I had an order and Mike offered me a framelock instead, i wouldnt say no to that :)

Andrew Lim

I am a big fan of Mike's knives, but i'll say that when i squeeze his liner locks a certain way while gripping, i can feel the liner move to the left a little, whereas with any framelock, Mike's included, generally, any hard gripping or twisting does not cause the lock bar to move to the left, in fact, usually the opposite, so, if the knife is to be a user, I say framelock, for a collector piece, id go with liner locks since as was said, the combination of carbon fiber/G10 and a Ti bolster is more pleasing to the eye. None of Mike's knives i have ever had failed a spine whack test, I have had many well regarded knives fail the same test, and the fact is, i just whack them on the heel of my hand, nothing harsh, and if a lock can't withstand this, i feel its a defective lock, Mike's are all very solid.

For the money, you cannot get a better knife of this type IMO.

A well fitted lock is truly a thing of beauty, unfortunately, they're not all that common... But there aint nuthin wrong with Mike's liner locks, to wit... :)

Obie%20M2%20BG%20G10%20Lock.jpg

Never handled his framelocks, but I have a small model 2 liner lock and it's one of the most solid locks of that type I've ever seen.

Back