Of Sharpmakers and blunt tips

CPR

Help! I am having a problem getting the first 3mm of the tip of my small Sebenza as sharp as the rest. I am using the 204 Sharpmaker. I am getting the rest of the edge extremely sharp, but in the process I have totally killed the tip of the blade (i.e. I'm being anal and I don't have a needle-like tip anymore). Has anyone else had this problem with the Sharpmaker, or am I using poor technique. Any simple solutions to get the tip back to its original condition (other than sending it back to CRK-I can't part from the knife for a week).

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Rounding off tips on the sharpmaker happens a lot, but it can be remedied by changing your technique.

As for the first 3mm not getting sharp, the sebenza has a lot of belly, so you have to change the way you sharpen slightly. Try rotating the knife so the edge is always pointing perpendicular to the stone. Meaning as you get towards the belly rotate the butt end of the knife up.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

Back