off the wall ?? Gil Hibben Kempo for carry ??

joebe

Banned
anyone have any comments/feedback on the Gil Hibben Kempo knife ??
it's 420 J2 steel (???) only $69, it's the right size for a fighter and has a serious guard.

thoughts/comments................thanks in advance.

The only BAD thing about that knife is that it's made out of 420 J2 steel. It would have been a much better knife had it been made out of something like 440C, ATS-34, AUS-8A, or even old tin cans.

I DO like the design, 'tho...:).

Hey Joebe, aren't you the guy that was just bad mouthing Cold Steel? :rolleyes:
I have the greatest respect for Gil Hibben and if he's happy with a production knife from United Cutlery I'm not going to tell you not to get one. Still, I think that Cold Steel's products are several rungs up the quality ladder. I have two CS knives, Trailmaster Bowie and Black Bear Classic both in stag, (I had the BBC rehandled) and I would buy from CS again. I don't have any United products on my Wish List. What I might do is contact Gil for a custom, I think his prices are very affordable.

if i had 2 CS with stag handles i'm sure they would be sweet, the rubber handles are the thing that get me. i carried a CS Kobun for over a year and it's a boot knife (read defensive knive) so it should really have a steel guard (no rubber), and the Tanto design
is just to wedgey, can't slice with it as it cuts halfway and then splits the rest, on the other hand the sheath for the Kobun is the BEST i've had !! don't you think the reason for the rubber handle is it's cheap to manufacture ? prob mold injected, no cutting/fitting/
finishing of a handle. a drop point Kobun with a flat grind and wood or micarta or stag would be THE carry knife, to bad they don't make it...

the Kempo is a bit different, if the steel was ATS-34 or AUS-8 i would have already ordered one....

If you are carrying it for a defensive knife then how much edge retention do you need. Unless you are actually planning to field dress your opponent the steel choice isn't going to be much of an issue. On a larger blade I would be concerned about loss of strength as for a sword for example you can bend them easily with a decent impact that won't do anything to a properly hardened spring steel.

-Cliff

Back