1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off-topic...What's for dinner???

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, Jul 3, 2017.

1. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Most of us love food and cooking. Heck, that's what a large percentage of the knife usage seems to be.
    While we may not always think to put a Fiddleback in the picture or stage a cool pic, we all eat dinner or are cooking something.
    Here is a place to post up what you are having are whats in the works.

I'll start it off with something I was working on most of the day today. It will be lunch for the 4th.

Smoked this 8 1/2 lb butt today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope everyone has a safe & happy 4th!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Wurrwulf, TinyDog, ndmiller and 4 others like this.
  2. Methuselah

Methuselah Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2015
    looks so so good...

VANCE likes this.
  3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
  4. varga49

varga49 Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 1, 2016
    No question we share the same love and affinity for two things Fiddlebacks and "Pork"...I'll be right over!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Bmurray and VANCE like this.
  5. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Come on Douglas

6. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    That looks fantastic Phillip :thumbsup:

7. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thanks Abe

8. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Very nice, @VANCE, what did you coat it with?

9. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]

Thanks & it was smoked w/Pecan wood as well

10. SA Condor

SA Condor Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Kill.ing.me

11. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Exactly. Killing me. I had a store bought chicken salad wrap because I was on the road all day. Got home and had a handful of cookies.

I am still hoping Phillip will adopt me as his long lost older brother or something. Maybe I could be a companion to Maximus during the day. I'll sleep outside in the shed and stay quiet - I promise. Just let me eat with you. Hell, you can even make me eat outside with Max.

Nbrackett likes this.
  12. TinyDog

TinyDog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Some Smoke Tilapia with Crushed almonds,Parmesan, with Orange sauce....:thumbsup:
    2017-07-02 16.58.05.jpg

SA Condor and Nbrackett like this.
  13. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    That's a great looking hunk of pork, Phil. I'm waiting for Boston Butts to go on sale around here before I tackle a 10+ hour smoke. I'd feel a lot better if I ruined a $10 piece of meat than a $20 piece of meat. Haha.

I'm about to throw some chicken quarters on; I hope it looks nice enough to post in this thread later.

(Thanks for the info on IG, btw.)

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    @Luca917 ....after about two days, Max would have worn you out!
    @TinyDog ...that's a good looking dish:thumbsup:

@Wurrwulf ... Thanks! The biggest asset I have is my Maverick ET-&734. It takes all the guess work out. It allows me to monitor the temp of the smoker & the internal temp of the meat....from my couch.

I have the MAX meat temp set to 205 on the Maverick. Once the probe inside the meat reaches about 190-195 i will start "probing the meat" I am looking for it to feel like a hot knife in warm butter.

The temp range on the smoker is not that critcal. I have a spread of 225 - 300 degrees set on the Maverick. If it drops below or above those parameters an alarm will go off & I can make the adjustments needed.
    No problem on the IG thing too
    [​IMG]

TinyDog, Wurrwulf and Nbrackett like this.
  15. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Have to admit, I laughed a bit at "probing the meat", but back to serious now.

Traditional July 4th Dinner. Burgers (sweet onions, black pepper) & Hot dogs & Nessmuk.
    IMG_3533.jpg

VANCE likes this.
  16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    looking good Noah
    Truth be told, hambugers are my favorite thing to grill. I would have done them for the 4th but we had them Sunday afternoon at the in-laws.

17. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Chicken quarters turned out decently enough. About an hour at 200-225* before saucing, removing the indirect heat stone, and finishing at ~300*F. Pictures with my wrapped Minimuk.

[​IMG]

VANCE likes this.
  18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    burning off the residue from the past cook
    [​IMG]

hamburger steak & onions tonight.
    [​IMG]

Kal-El likes this.
  19. Cohutta

Cohutta

Feb 17, 2017
    This thread is making me hungry.

20. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    its not always fancy

but Dave's Killer Bread makes it good
    [​IMG]

Nbrackett likes this.