Official 2018 BF Knife: Poll 5/8: Handle Materials

Choose Handle Material Grouping (comment color/type)

• Group 1: Micarta, G10 | $

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Group 2: Delrin, Paperstone | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 3: Diamondwood | $

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Group 4: Carbon Fiber | $$

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Group 5: Buffalo, Elk | $$

Votes: 59 19.7%
  • Group 6: Stag, Ram Horn | $$

Votes: 44 14.7%
  • Group 7: Snakewood, KOA | $$

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Group 8: Burl, Ironwood | $$

Votes: 89 29.8%
  • Group 9: Shell, Mother of Pearl | $$$

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Group 10: Jigged Bone | $$

Votes: 11 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As generous as the offer of the donated Bocote is, I'm just not feeling it as a handle choice for this particular knife. In the blade choice poll, some people brought up the concern that we were trying to recreate the 2015 forum knife. Taking that into account, I'd prefer covers that clearly distinguish the 2018 knife from the 2015 knife.

For now I'm going to stick with elk as my choice.

I gotta agree with the comments about using bocote. It's a tremendous offer (!) and I'll buy it anyway since I don't own the 2015 knife........but doesn't everyone want something that sets itself apart substantially from that one?

Someone mentioned osage. Now that would be cool.

Koa!! It happens to be my dog’s name also lol.

756695B5-9B4F-4CD2-AFA9-7C7018489567.jpeg 0CEAD4E2-EE29-4579-94CA-61C600534761.jpeg

I wish the initial categories would have been wood, antler/horn material, synthetics, jigged bone, etc.

Then broken down more specific after a winning category was chosen.

I voted ram horn. More initial outlay, but something more rare on this knive, and I believe will bring more future value, because of its’ rarity. A Buck with ramhorn would be a beautiful thing. Ironwood is nice, but it seems more common nowadays.

So many choices... I went with ram horn/stag but wish I could have voted for my top 3!

Ironwood please,
Silver bolsters, check
154, well ok
Blades, good with most, but fav got picked
Grind, good with any choice

When do we order!
Any requirement on membership level?

Lots of comments for rams horn but we need more votes and idk if I’ve ever saw an example of their ram horn

Thought I'd leave this here as well:

View attachment 906504

I want that one! Haha!

Here are some examples of materials from regular production over the years.

Ironwood
opplanet-buck-knives-boone-and-crockett-blade-bu301iwsbcle-main.jpg

Stag
opplanet-buck-knives-boone-and-crockett-blade-bu301stsbcle-main.jpg

Delrin
BU301YW.jpg

Elk. This one has tracks but I assume ours wouldn't.
buck-knife-majestic-elk-hoof-prints_1_2c177ee97b6fe8479fe4ec795ae490fe.jpg

Bone
1991-buck-301-brown-bone-stockman_1_b9050cc42198fec56b8ab34bfe914849.jpg

Paperstone
noze-nuz-buck-301-paperstone-b-c-stockman-i10853.jpg

Dymondwood
eRpfTmC.jpg

Don't have any Buck Ram's Horn but this looks more than OK to me.

Also, will it be interior horn or exterior like this? Smooth v bark.

HaR6WFs.jpg

So many choices... I went with ram horn/stag but wish I could have voted for my top 3!
Stephen said to post your comments as far as what you would like so that they can narrow down the voting options at the next level... so type out your top 3:):thumbsup:

Voted for stsg / rams horn,but my top 5 would be:
1. Bocote donated by forummember Dopic1, because donated material adds somthings special to the forum knife
2. Stag, didn't go for elk because of Erics warning that it would probably end up mostly white
3. Jigged bone
4. Buffalo
5. KOA

Elk. This one has tracks but I assume ours wouldn't.
buck-knife-majestic-elk-hoof-prints_1_2c177ee97b6fe8479fe4ec795ae490fe.jpg
If the elk comes out mostly white, I think it would still look nice. In fact, wouldn't a polished elk make for a slimmer handle, rather than trying to keep the "bark"? I don't know if some elk voters would be disappointed if it came out smooth, whereas others who dislike "fat stag" would be pleased.

Micarta. I'd like to keep the cost down. Plus, it's going to have a modern steel, give it a modern/traditional handle.

I loved the look of the wood in the sample but I'm afraid that it would take a beating against my keys.

I see that the stags and horns are winning out. My only caution would be that I haven't seen a great deal of figuring and such, that many of us like, in those kinds of materials when used and hafted by Buck over the years. I fear while a few of us will no doubt luck out and get awesome examples, many of us will find our slabs very flat and ho-hum. Whereas a more consistent material like some of the figured woods, while still having some more figured than others, is more likely to make for consistently pleasing knives. I have seen Buck do a very good job with those. Just my 2-cents. I would urge you all to consider who the manufacturer is on this, and maybe google for some images of Buck stag and elk horn on 110s, 112s, 501s, etc., and see if you find anything you would really love to have. I never have, and I have ordered my share of knives from the Buck custom shop over the years. Don't get me wrong, they've been ok, just more consistently good when I select the woods. Oh, and may I add .... SNAKEWOOD RULES!

Last edited:
The fact the Bocote is from a forum member is what draws me to it and also supratentorial supratentorial that paperstone sample you show makes me want to vote for it plus it would be a more unique material from what I have seen around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back