Official "Return of the YCS" thread - updates posted here

Yes - it's a beauty, ain't it? Bill Marsh has one I got to see in person. Had put it to good use, too.

John, thanks for the photos. If this batch looks half as good as your woodchucked one, I'll be in heaven.

Daniel,
There must be some mis-communication, maybe Uncle thought my last payment was for the YCS or you have me confused with someone else. The YCS is one great deal, but I am short on funds and hope that Uncle orders a few extra. So the information of me being "Paid in Full" is wrong. Please remove my name from your list.

Thank you
Sharks_Edge
Karl B.

Thanks for clearing that up, Karl. I meant to check my records on that one. Appreciate your honesty.

Oh man... This is so tempting... I'll have to sleep on it, but UB might very well be getting a money order from me as well... Oh, question... How much will shipping to Canada be?

You'll have to ask Bill when he gets back in.

This will be one sweet run, that's for sure. Don't pass it up!

Okay, I want one,
I can't prepay until next week though. :(
But I definately have the funds.
Put me on the list, please.
You have my word I'll pay.

Okay, now I have 2 questions, neither or which I really need to know, but:
1) I am assuming there is a limited amount of exotic wood to go around,
so, A) what woods were sent, and B) any idea how many Khuk you can make from that wood and C) What's going to happen to the leftover wood?
2) What are the current conditions in Nepal that prevent a tooled scabard? I find it a little odd that you can send a Khuk with a Chakma and Karda, but can't do the couple of extra tools?
Just wondering. Thanks.

Okay, here's from an Uncle Bill posting:
Osage Orange, black walnut, purple heart, cocobolo. (and some others he can't remember)

I do not know how much wood was sent. However, the response back from the kamis leads me to believe that they still have enough leftover to fill the order we made. The wood was sent there for all khukuris in general - not just for the YCS. Any leftover will be put into other models.

I don't know the condition regarding the tooled scabbard. I asked Bill to ask, and he did and then he let me know it wasn't going to happen - so whatever it is, I trust Bill's decision on it.

The YCS doesn't come with a chakma. It has 2 specially designed kardas. Can you imagine the kind of confusion we'd get if Bill asked them to include the tools like the Berk, etc.? They'd want to know which ones got the inlay, which didn't, if all were special wood, (they usually use horn or antler), should they keep the same karda designs (as the original drawings show), and so on. Then after all the dust has settled, someone along the line would not "get the memo" and make the regular kardas anyway. It's just the world they live in.

It's like when I lived in Guatemala - they have 25 different (mayan dialect) words for "corn". You send a letter asking for "corn" and could end up with 25 different versions of it.

That's why we go to such great lengths to spell everything out the best we can. Even then, there's still danger of misunderstanding.

Like I said....that's just how it goes...

Daniel Koster said:
The YCS doesn't come with a chakma. It has 2 specially designed kardas.
Don't forget the 3 cornered awl Dan!:rolleyes: :p
I hope it comes with a point this time instead of being blunt like the last several ones were.
I designed the 3 cornered awl especially for punching holes in cloth. If you punch a hole in cloth with a knife it tears out easily. With the awl it's not so apt to tear so it lasts for a lot longer. Especially good for seating up emergency shelter with whatever you may have. It should work fairly well in the flimsy blue plastic tarps that are common today as well.:)

Yes, Yvsa....the triangle awl is in there.

The last 2 YCS's I've received both had tips on the awl. I think that's now in the past.

Daniel Koster said:
I do not know how much wood was sent. However, the response back from the kamis leads me to believe that they still have enough leftover to fill the order we made. The wood was sent there for all khukuris in general - not just for the YCS. Any leftover will be put into other models.

That is very encouraging. Would be a shame for the handles to crack on such a special model.

Here's a question: From what I have gathered one of the main problems with the YCS and why it was discontinued had to do the the kamis inability to properly temper the blade?? Wonder if there is any way for them in Nepal or Uncle Bill or whomever here to check the hardness when they come in? I believe I have seen in some posts in the past Bill mentioning the Rockwell hardness. Wonder if he has some way of checking?

My understanding is that they had problems getting the inlays right, hence the discontinuance. If they had problems tempering the blade, we are all in deep guano.

The chiruwa handles don't crack as much as the standard ones, right?
Why would tempering the YCS be any different than other blades?

Also does anyone know a site that has pics of those types of wood to look at?

John

John Trout said:
Why would tempering the YCS be any different than other blades?

John
I'm pretty sure the problem was with the thin hard edges, not the hardening process, that were extremely prone to cracking and chipping out. Even the very first one made that I have chipped out a chunck about an 1-1/4" long by 1/4" or a little more deep!
Several of the YCS's chipped out and it was costing to much money and trouble to replace them I believe.
The thing is that once the chip is ground out the blade is good to go for a long time.

Back