Official THK picture thread

Discussion in 'Terrio HandMade Knives' started by james terrio, Oct 26, 2013.

1. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    Hey everyone, I thought it was time to show what I've been up to lately here at Terrio Handmade Knives. This thread will include some real basic WIPs, custom orders, prototypes and an occasional blast from the past. Questions and comments are welcome. If you own a THK and would like to show it off here, be my guest! I love seeing my knives in happy homes... especially when they've been used and beaten up a bit ;)

Here's a little teaser pic from the Table O' Joy... See anything you recognize? Most of these are customs for various BladeForums members. I appreciate your support!

[​IMG]

Blast from the past...

Two extremely challenging knives that comprised my first international custom order/sale. Inspired by a video game and built to spec based on screenshots and a fair amount of math. When the client came here looking for someone to make these for him, no other maker on the forum would even touch his idea with a ten-foot pole. I learned a heckuva lot from this job, and I'm very grateful for the experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the very first THK Sidekicks...

[​IMG]

Stay tuned, I'll be adding more pics as time allows.

2. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    So, who says you can't get a decent hand-rubbed finish on CPM-3V? I take that sort of thing as a personal challenge ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This blade isn't buffed, just hand-sanded to 2000 grit. I like to call this a "silk polish"... still 100% done by hand, just a little bit finer than a typical hand-satin finish.

[​IMG]

The client requested mosaic pins on the dyed/stabilized spalted maple he picked out, but I prefer to use mechanical fasteners whenever possible. So I used both.

(Really. It's not a trick... the corby bolts are cut down short and hidden under the mosaic pin "caps" ;) )

All done...

[​IMG]

The client wanted a good-size pocket on the front, so we made it the full width of the sheath. Kind of a pain to stitch, but there's room for the firesteel, a sharpening stone, SAK, maybe even a small multi-tool. :thumbup:

3. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    The THK 2013-14 World Tour continues! These two customs went to Sweden and Norway, respectively.

[​IMG]

CPM-3V bushcrafter with stabilized firgured American walnut and black G1-10 liners. Full axial taper, no plunge. Silk polish and stainless hardware.

[​IMG]

O1 camp knife with "ivory" paper micarta and ruby-red G10 liners. Standard full-flat grind. Antique blade finish, distressed leather sheath. The bobcat pawprints on the front required seven individual stampings - each.

A nice variety of grinds, materials and sheath options... These all sold to BFC members... thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of sheath options... Angie and I recently developed our first ambidextrous 4-way sheath... The knife fits perfectly for either right- or left-handed carry, and the keeper strap can be spun around to open from either the left or right side.

[​IMG]

This one (and a couple others) is up for sale in the exchange as we speak...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  4. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Some pics of a THK Bushcrafter in its natural habitat, taken by the owner. Thanks vnmm73!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a sort of plain-jane Mini-Bowie. This is a fun pattern to work with; lots of options available on the same basic platform. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

This is a little side-project I did for myself; a few mods on a classic Becker BK-5 given to me by a dear friend. Polished and sharpened swedge, figured redwood scales, reground tang and a forward lanyard tube make it just a little different than stock. This excellent design by Jerry Fisk didn't need any work on the grind... it's a great slicer :)

[​IMG]

This new prototype "Fugitive" in Elmax made it back from the Fall 2013 Beckerhead Gathering with no damage. I haven't sharpened it yet, and it got a pretty good workout batonning and whittling red oak for the firepits. Still doing just fine for a little food-prep work. :thumbup: I scaled-up the handle size a bit on this one, and I'm happy to report that both large dudes and petite women found it comfortable. I'm going to be sending this out to another cat for more testing soon...

[​IMG]

5. pertinux

pertinux Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Rather than rewrite my Strix adventure from scratch, I'll bring this post (located in Traditional) to this grand new venue entire:
    The Strix over time, and yea unto the present day (yay):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Mount Washington, NH:
    [​IMG]

Safely home:
    [​IMG]

Top 'o the heap, baby.

:thumbup:

~ P.

6. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Cool, thank you! :)

7. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta

Aug 30, 2012
    My Growl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta

Aug 30, 2012
    Some more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    I'll play...custom THK Growl with carbon fiber handles. Same for the fire steel; Kydex sheath by Kiah. Good stuff! :D

JT-Growl.jpg

10. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Knice.:thumbup: I like that blade a lot.

Ray, I drooled over that one quite a while before you finally got her. Great choice.

11. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Ray - I loved the looks of that Growl when it was up for sale -- nice snag.

Here's the one I got to play with during the Spring Camp Knife Challenge:
    [​IMG]

12. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    This one is bad @$$ James! Like several, but reeeeally like this a lot.

13. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks! That was a custom order... I still have the pattern, though.

14. Mack

Aug 19, 2007
    Yeah, but do you have the wood?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  15. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Nope, just had that one block. Don't worry, they'll grow more ;)

16. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    Some really fine looking blades. That Strix is calling me pretty loud.

17. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Thank you! There'll be a couple in CPM-154 in the current batch, and a couple in carbon steel (O1 or 52100, probably) in the next batch. Long as they keep selling, I'll keep making more :)

18. Mack

Aug 19, 2007
    52100 you say? You have my attention. I love that steel.

19. james terrio

Apr 15, 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty sweet :) We couldn't used to get it in flat bar stock, but Aldo worked his magic and has a nice selection. (I get nearly all of my steel from either Aldo at New Jersey Steel Baron or Chuck at Alpha Knife Supply)

20. Mack

Aug 19, 2007
    After I said that I went to Aldo's site to see.:D I've only had forged blades of 52100 so I was kind of stunned when you mentioned it.
    It takes such a fine edge, I can't wait to see what it does with your grind.:thumbup: