Ohio Knife Laws?

I'm in northeast Ohio, and have carried a knife almost everyday for the last 40 years. Almost everything has been over 2.5 inches. It all comes down to intent. I am a contractor by trade and they are all tools...especially if anyone asks.

I do have a question though. Are there any laws regarding emerson openers?

I'm in northeast Ohio, and have carried a knife almost everyday for the last 40 years. Almost everything has been over 2.5 inches. It all comes down to intent. I am a contractor by trade and they are all tools...especially if anyone asks.

I do have a question though. Are there any laws regarding emerson openers?

Hi! I went into great detail about Ohio's knife laws in this post. And no, there are no specific laws about Emerson or any other "wave-action" knife in Ohio. Or any other state for that matter. Remember, knife laws are intended to spite poor people; Emerson's are too expensive for them to pass a law against them.

Thanks. I've looked through what I can find online, and it is so vague I was just looking for a bit more input.

Hello, man the knife laws in Ohio are scary!

But, it sounds like I'm good on any non-"switch blade" folding knife so long as the clip is showing at the top of my pocket.

I carry a ~2 inch Bench Made folder w/clip. I also recently ordered a Mora Bushcraft Carbon Black (fixed blade w/sheath) with a 4.3" blade. Sounds like I'll be fine carrying it on my belt, but if I put it on my boot under my pants that could land me in prison even if no other crime was committed.

I've never stabbed a person and I am almost certain I never will, I won't carry a boot knife, but I wish I could and I feel like my 2nd amendment rights are being violated because I can't (legally). I'm a more "liberal" than Bernie Sanders, but I feel like individual rights and freedoms are important and this (Ohio knife laws) is an over-reach of our state government which violates our [Federal] Constitution.

Here's what I've learned: never, under any circumstances, state/admit to a LEO that a knife you carry is a "weapon", or that it is intended for self defense - it is a tool and you use it for utilitarian purposes, period. Now, if one has a tool, and one finds oneself in a situation where they are under threat of attack, well then there's no reason why one would not utilize whatever most appropriate tool is at hand, right? Sadly, even if you are not the aggressor, I believe you can get in trouble for pulling a knife for defensive purposes if the attacker is not armed, even if you feel your life is in danger, is that correct?

Well...if you feel your life is in danger...do you care?

Back