Ohio's knife laws are currently insane

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by PaultheCarpenter, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    In my jurisdiction, mere possession is still illegal. No carry outside home needed for that charge.

Our law has a catch all for "any object apparently capable of causing serious bodily harm" to the mix of things you can't carry "comcealed".

It really opens people up to a charge when nothing else tbey were doing was wrong.

A convenient "catch all"

2. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    I don't know what planet you're living on, but this has been and continues to be a law used primarily against black people. See the original case that brought it to bear - they only managed to argue it because the defendant was black. Also there's not a lot of "leftist" officers in this state.

3. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I don't live in Ohio so I can't say that you are wrong. The planet that I live on, is reality. I have worked with black people that moved to Texas from Chicago and other places that were puzzled by how racism was not the problem here as they had always heard. Are there some racists here? Sure there are. But it isn't as prevalent as many think it is.
    The law should be blind to race and politics. But when lawmakers write vague laws, it opens the door to prejudice. The country is about split between democraps and republicant's. So I would bet that Ohio has about as many leftist cops as any other state.
    It seems to me that the biggest problem with racism is people trying to make everything about race - when it's not.

DMG likes this.
  4. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Ah yeah, I was in Texas when a white supremecist shot 46 Latinos, killing half in an El Paso walmart. You might not have a problem with any black people down there, but it's obvious there's racism.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  5. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Yep, there are some racists running around. I think that most of them are just psycho's that want to murder people. Some of the nuts choose a different race, or a church or whatever.

DMG likes this.
  6. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Just got an email:

Great news!

Atomic Inc and Insipid Moniker like this.
  7. Atomic Inc

Atomic Inc Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2021
    That's good news. The company I work for is in Ohio so I fly into Columbus pretty frequently

PaultheCarpenter likes this.
  8. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Don't be too hasty, from my research it won't become law for another 90 days.

Atomic Inc likes this.
  9. Atomic Inc

Atomic Inc Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Yes, that's when it does become active. I'm still on COVID travel restriction anyhow. But nice to know that I won't be violating any ridiculous laws when I finally do get back there

PaultheCarpenter likes this.
  10. jjg6319

jjg6319

Dec 19, 2011
    That is good news.