Ohta swell center whittler ZDP-189/ATS-34 and Desert ironwood

WValtakis

Hand engraving & Titanium anodizing
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is the result of this thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1325876-Zdp-189
Thank Lambertiana for suggesting Hiroaki Ohta in the first place.

The WIP photos can be found on Hiroaki Ohta's blog here:
http://ohtaknives.air-nifty.com/todays_work/
December 2015-January 2016

It never cleared up for some outdoor pics but here's some quick indoor shots. I asked him to scale it up a bit from most whittler patterns I've had, it's about 4 1/4" closed with a 3" main blade. It's nice and slim though so it carries nicely.

temporary_62.jpg~original

temporary_63.jpg~original

temporary_64.jpg~original

temporary_65.jpg~original

He told me the secondary blades (ATS-34) are about 61-62Hrc according to his hardness files and the main blade (ZDP-189) is "much harder" :D. All the blades are ground very thin at the edges with a nice satin finish. The walk and talk is great on all three blades with flush springs in all three positions, zero play. No rub unless you push too hard when opening the secondary blades.
temporary_66.jpg~original

temporary_67.jpg~original

temporary_68.jpg~original

The fit and finish is very good, no gaps and a high polish on the bolsters and even the inside of the liners. There are some nits that could be picked, but nothing that I felt I needed to bring to his attention...especially at this price for a custom three blade pattern in a non standard blade steel. All in all, I love it...it's either been in my pocket or getting fondled and used since I unwrapped it.

~Chip

Last edited:
That's one to keep in your collection for sure. Out of the norm for Ohta but it's a stunner! Very nice knife. I've had a couple of Ohta's and they were both top notch.

Way to put a test to the challenge by Ohta~ Simply incredible the time frame he took to start a new pattern for you. A beauty

Wow...that is stunning work! I love the different steels for the blades, size of the secondaries. Nice all the way around, you have a keeper:thumbup:

A bigger Whittler like that is rare, rarer still having totally sunk-joints, that's Masterclass stuff in my book.

I enjoyed watching my own Ohta being made a couple of years back, it's a very interesting aspect to his work.

Thanks, Will

Great looking Whittler, Chip. It looks like it would be a joy to use. It's got me itching for another Ohta.

Incredible all around! I love the covers - I can tell through the slightly yellowed lighting that it is strikingly handsome in person, while being subtle and not too busy. That's a hard-workin' gentleman's knife :thumbup:

Ah, my new Grail :) very nice, glad you were able to work that out and get it !
G2

Even just reading the title of this thread got me interested. Wow! What a great knife. Now you just have to get a matching one in stag and HAP40 :D

A coworker hooked me up with some of that Beale systems carnauba wax...I'm impressed. Sanded to 2000 and then a little of that buffed on with a t-shirt.
All polished up :D

~Chip

Last edited:
Courtesy of Gary Graley, top notch work as always :D Can't wait to get it on my belt.

~Chip

Last edited:
Nice Chip, pardon the quick photo with my ipod touch, been a busy week around the house getting ready for winter up here, and just got that finished and shipped out this morning with about 6 minutes to spare when I got to the post office ;)

That one for Chip is made to be worn on his left side, so that the trailing edge of the sheath, where the threads are, flow or look better when worn on that side, of course you can always slide it around to your right, but it would look funny to me :)

Chip has a belt with some embossing on it, but I didn't have that particular stamp, but his belt buckle is leaf related and we settled on embossing one leaf to accent the sheath, just embossed it looked ok, but I wanted a bit more contrast so I applied some 'high lighter' to the leaf, which can be tricky and messy pretty quick, so I was hesitant to use it but decided it was worth the risk and I like how it turned out.

And the knife! wow, Mr Ohta out did himself, the fit and finish is amazing and the blades are ground down quite thin, the main blade as Chip pointed out is a laminated blade with a ZDP-189 center, well done all the way around. I do regret not getting photos of the knife, but, it was a busy week and just didn't have the spirit to get things setup to do that. But, if you have the means to buy one, it is highly recommended to do so, very nice folder!
G2

Back