Oil a Brand New Bedlam?

Just received a brand new automated Bedlam (8600BK) and it's great. The axis release/close lock was stiff as expected. So was the safety on/off switch. I worked both of them. They are loosening up but seem a bit gritty. Does it make sense to continue working them dry or should I add a little oil at this point? Thanks

I wonder why a brand new knife should feel gritty. If there's a problem with using Tuf-Glide, or anything similar, it could compound the problem. I would keep cycling the lock, but if the problem doesn't go away, either break the knife down, Or something I do from time to time is to fill a plastic pan with hot soapy water and simply give the knife a soak for 20 minutes or so. Dry it with a hair blower on low afterwards. And if that doesn't work and the grittiness doesn't fade, perhaps a call to Benchmade at 800-800-7427 would help.

I'm not a huge fan of the factory lube Benchmade uses. Every new Benchmade I buy gets taken apart, cleaned, and a veeery light coating of Tri-Flow gets brushed onto all of the friction surfaces.

I use Breakfree CLP on my knives but I'm not in love with it. I'll try some Tri-Flow. Thank you for the recommendation.

Last edited:
jkarp, just kept cycling the lock as you suggested and grittiness stopped. Action was quite smooth. Gave it 2 drops of oil and cycled the lock another day. Action is now outstanding. Much stronger and smoother than expected. Great knife. Thanks again for your help.

You are very welcome Sir! I've learned a few tricks in 15 years of collecting, glad to pass along a couple of them! :)

Back