Oil Bath?

Hello All
I have a question concerning an old horseshoe that is kinda special to my father in law. This shoe is rusty and very dirty so I am going to clean it a bit i.e. wire brush and Dremel. The question is how to keep it from rusting again since he'll probably put it above our cabin door in the Sierra? I was thinking a slow cook in oil like you would season a cast iron pot. I don't know so any suggestions that won't change the natural look would be great.
Thanks Shane

May I suggest a product called T-9: http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=984&mode=details#tabs

It should do a very good job of rust protection on that obviously non-stainless horseshoe. I've only recently started using T-9 on some stuff, so I can't say for sure... but...

It's kinda pricey, but we've found that stuff from woodcraft is usually the best. You can keep the rest of the can of T-9 for your own use... :)

next time you change your motor oil, just put it in the old oil for a few days. it will not rust again. it's something to do with the impurites in burnt motor oil that condition metal. i do this with tools all the time.

The used motor oil will do the trick, BTW wwells20 Congrats on the 1000 post, time for you to give something away.:D:D:D

The used motor oil will do the trick, BTW wwells20 Congrats on the 1000 post, time for you to give something away.:D:D:D

James, LOL! I did'nt even see that coming! 1000! I never knew I'dget this far! As for the giveaway, I'll come up with something!! Thanks for keeping me up to date!!:thumbup:

Back