Oil help...

boogeyman

BANNED
On occassion my knife gets used to cut up a little food. What type of oil should I use that would offer corrosion resistance; but, at the same time, not have a negative effect in the taste department? Would mineral oil or Pam work? Does tuf-cloth have a taste? etc. etc.

thanks for the answers!

Mineral Oil is good, but doesn't have the longterm rust prevention that others do.

On knives that will be used for food, I use INOX, works really well and is rated as non-toxic and safe for food.

Personally I would use Mineral Oil. It generally can be found in the laxative section (Big Dose) of any pharmacy. Just a light coating is all you need as you are really trying to leave a barrier between the steel and oxygen/moisture. INOX might be good as well, but I can't vouche for it. I'm generally leary about purchasing from a site that is just someone's email address.

I use mineral oil on any wooden cutting boards I have as well.

Boogeyman, I use Pam on the fishing knives I use on my boat. Just clean with fresh water and spray on. No taste and quick and easy. It will get a little sticky long term like 2 or 3 months but it still easily wipes off.

Phil

All oil has a laxative effect! Most simple lubricating oil is mineral oil, with additives and dye, so I am told by my local knifemaker. Mineral oil works great on my cutting boards and knives- - for years! And I only have a normal amount of B*ll Sh*t!!!!

Pete1977 said:
Be careful with mineral oil and foods. it has a laxative affect.

Not an issue. The dosage for Mineral Oil as a laxative is 3 Tablespoonsful (1.5ozs) up to 3 times a day. That's over a half a cup of oil per day.

There is no way on earth you'll ever get a laxative effect with the very tiny amount of oil on your knife blade.

I use a drop of 3 in 1 on my knives' pivots. Then I wipe them down as well as possible. I'm sure I've eaten some of it but I've seen no ill effects. Plus, 3 in 1 smells pretty good too.

Keep a bottle in the fridge for a quick sip here and there.

Is there really an oil named inox? Inox is French for stainless steel....

ThreadMoving.jpg

Really it only means stainless and not necessarily stainless steel ... I suppose it would make sense to name an oil Inox ... it just surprised me; I've seen that stamped on so many blades.

Back