Oil help...

boogeyman

BANNED
On occassion my knife gets used to cut up a little food. What type of oil should I use that would offer corrosion resistance; but, at the same time, not have a negative effect in the taste department? Would mineral oil or Pam work? Does tuf-cloth have a taste? etc. etc.

thanks for the answers!

Mineral Oil is good, but doesn't have the longterm rust prevention that others do.

On knives that will be used for food, I use INOX, works really well and is rated as non-toxic and safe for food.

Personally I would use Mineral Oil. It generally can be found in the laxative section (Big Dose) of any pharmacy. Just a light coating is all you need as you are really trying to leave a barrier between the steel and oxygen/moisture. INOX might be good as well, but I can't vouche for it. I'm generally leary about purchasing from a site that is just someone's email address.

I use mineral oil on any wooden cutting boards I have as well.

Boogeyman, I use Pam on the fishing knives I use on my boat. Just clean with fresh water and spray on. No taste and quick and easy. It will get a little sticky long term like 2 or 3 months but it still easily wipes off.

Phil

Pete1977

Gold Member
Be careful with mineral oil and foods. it has a laxative affect.

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
All oil has a laxative effect! Most simple lubricating oil is mineral oil, with additives and dye, so I am told by my local knifemaker. Mineral oil works great on my cutting boards and knives- - for years! And I only have a normal amount of B*ll Sh*t!!!!

Pete1977 said:
Be careful with mineral oil and foods. it has a laxative affect.

Not an issue. The dosage for Mineral Oil as a laxative is 3 Tablespoonsful (1.5ozs) up to 3 times a day. That's over a half a cup of oil per day.

There is no way on earth you'll ever get a laxative effect with the very tiny amount of oil on your knife blade.

I use a drop of 3 in 1 on my knives' pivots. Then I wipe them down as well as possible. I'm sure I've eaten some of it but I've seen no ill effects. Plus, 3 in 1 smells pretty good too.

Keep a bottle in the fridge for a quick sip here and there.

Cougar Allen

Buccaneer (ret.)
Is there really an oil named inox? Inox is French for stainless steel....

ThreadMoving.jpg

Cougar Allen

Buccaneer (ret.)
Really it only means stainless and not necessarily stainless steel ... I suppose it would make sense to name an oil Inox ... it just surprised me; I've seen that stamped on so many blades.