Ok here goes!

upload_2021-1-18_21-22-10.jpeg
the one on the right is loose mounted for display but the eye on the top mounted upside down slips right on yet the actual bottom eye is smaller and won’t fit?? Is that the way it should be? Would have thought the bottom should be larger and tapper as it goes on?

Reactions: A17
upload_2021-1-18_21-28-33.jpeg
placed at the bottom eye bot will need to be reduced to fit. Goes right on if dropped on upside down?

This is a good pic I found of how the wedging of an axe eye works. The wedge expands the top of the haft to force the head down on the haft and keep it from flying off when you swing the axe, so you want the widest part of the eye to be where the wedge is the widest, the top.
00r0r-8-VIblz-Tt-UZQz-0k-C0-CI-600x450.jpg

Thanks guys. Like i said my first try. I made a few mistakes or maybe a handful but happy with the way it turned out.

Did you notice if the steel was harder on the poll of the wierd boys axe than the poll of the plumb?Got some pretty large chips knocked off of it,wonder if Mr.Martin was right about being a type of rafter.Toe is ground back looks like and maybe a drift pin at one time.That plumb is in good shape huh the bit is in better shape than everything else thats pretty peculiar.

Yea Junk all good observations. The “weird boys rafter”has taken some wacks I’m guessing maybe they hit it with a hammer to re haft it at one time.
I watched a Utube vid on a similar ax head restore (hand tools only) and he filed all the nicks similar to the ones on mine and in the end it looked brand new. Then he etched it.
I was looking at clean up and re haft only on this one and because it’s probably a cheap head its heat treat is most likely sub par.

Also not sure what you mean by “peculiar”?
Something you see that i am unaware of?

Back