Ok, I Have A Question For You Guys...

Mistwalker

Gold Member
While I was in the Atlanta area working on a couple of photo shoots, Andy was kind enough to let me stop in and take some photos of the entire process from my perspective. All in all there were a few thousand photos taken that will be used for various purposes. In the process of editing I realized I had enough photos to spare to do a post that essentially tells the story of the road to Fiddleback Friday in photos, covering pretty much all of the steps along the way. It will be a complex post, and I am still trying to decide if the powers that be here at BF would be ok with me posting it here in this forum or if they would prefer it to be in GKD. They have moved some of my photo heavy threads around in the past, and I never know. With it obviously being specific to Fiddleback Forge, it would seem to be ok to post it here.

The thing is that this post will be my biggest yet I believe, involving some 135 photographs. I have culled and culled to get the count lower, but I think it is where it needs to be to tell the story well. There seems to be a growing trend of viewing internet posts on phones these days, which have a more limited capacity for graphics compared to a PC or lap top. I have been fussed at on some forums for using less than 1/7 the amount of photos in this folder. So I am wondering where you guys stand on this? It does take a bit of effort to put this sort of post together, so if it is going to annoy or go unseen by most of you, then I will need to rethink it, and re-approach it with more text maybe, and fewer photos.

So what do you think? Are you guys interested in seeing the whole story in photo form?

I'll be surprised if one person here says "don't do it." Combining your high resolution photos and historical perspective with your storytelling ability to walk us through the process already has "Sticky" written all over it to me. I would dare say that Bud's weekly "Sneak Peek" threads are the most anticipated and viewed threads on this sub-forum week after week. Doing the same type of thing on a macro scale with a different perspective would be very well received.

I may or may not ever try to make my own knife. Either way, I want to understand how much work it takes to do it.

I am already looking forward to your post. Thanks Brian!

Phil

Last edited:
I'll be surprised if one person here says "don't do it." Combining your high resolution photos and historical perspective with your storytelling ability to walk us through the process already has "Sticky" written all over it to me. I would dare say that Bud's weekly "Sneak Peek" threads are the most anticipated and viewed threads on this sub-forum week after week. Doing the same type of thing on a macro scale with a different perspective would be very well received. I may or may not ever try to make my own knife. Either way, I want to understand how much work it takes to do it.

I am already looking forward to your post. Thanks Brian!

Phil

Remember, I am just a photographer and a writer... I am not a knife maker. Though I am sure you could gain some insight into knife making from the post, I won't be explaining the specifics of the craft. It will be more about seeing the dedication, craftsmanship, and effort that goes into producing the knives we buy, and more about giving some real perspective to the term "hand made", and where the spirit a hand made knife has comes from.

I wish I could see all the shots that you took, but I'd be completely willing to settle for 135 :)

Seriously though, I've been looking forward to one of your photo-heavy posts ever since your trip to the forge. I'll probably never make it down to visit the shop myself, but with your excellent photography skills, I feel like all of us who are geographically challenged will get to experience it as if we were there with you. I look forward to the post and thank you in advance for taking the time to do it!

Ok then. The photos are edited and uploaded now. I'll go ahead and put the post together.

Back