OKC Cerberus, glad I got mine when I could.

Well I thought I'd never get so many but the OKC Cerberus fix blade grew on me. I pack it when I take the RD Tanto out as the main camp hacker for shorter trips I get cogoled to take the younger family members out. They are told not bring their "Devices" so to speak, but I tell them to sneak them along, but one person is designated not to use their's in case every run their batteries down, despite a solar recharger. (never trust tech!) I let them bring their "Devices" for their GPS and games and such for when it gets DARK. But every one had to bring a BOOK along as well. They learned the value of the HARD COPY when their battery ran low.) The RAT DOG or two were also allowed as they only barked when a dog should, not constant yap where they become wild critter chow "Accidentally. They make great kiddy comforters and camp alarms for us to look at the bear just in time that just ran away with one of the food packs. The know to let "Smokey" have the food pack and not to fight for it. Also its handy having them rat dogs with their superior senses around us. But one RULE is THEY ALWAYS STAY ON LEASH. So they don't become critter chow, as we can't have the well behaved ones get replaced by constant yap rat dogs. Coyotes would be the first threat, next with eagles, owls and chicken hawks. If kept on a leash a wolf or other critter won't go for the rat dog, but maybe the cougar might try, if the wolves didn't get the cougar that is. I just don't want the kids to loose their beloved family member, even if its an annoying brat of a rat dog. For trouble I do take a Glock 40 10mm for just in case or for emergency signaling. I don't take any noticeable long arm usually any more. But I do let the kids "Smuggle" their wrist rockets a long or bow, they sure make great problem critter dealing with devices when needed. Some how they "Accidently" find 54 caliber musket balls in the camp some how....

I like the Cerberus for being robustly slicey and dicey, the other brats...er dear next generationers, usually get the spare strong arm or some lock back to use, the ones who pay attention and get have more funner out side get to usually keep or get to chose what one they get. I gave an RD 6 as a prize to the annoy...er precious brat who did the best wilderhood stuff. IE, have fun and help wrangle the other kids to have fun. I had to give out 2... Good thing the RD 6 is still in production, at least OKC realized that is still a great literally stand alone knife! I gifted quiet a few of them, but only 75% of the recipients told me the the RD6 got them out of some prickly pickled predicaments. Even if it helped one of the ones I gifted, I call that a definite win. But the Cerberus has been a great constant belt rider and even if a FFG, it still is more versatile and works above its weight capabilities.

The OKC Cerberus was a great knife OKC made, and I'm glade they pasted it on to us "Civies." hopefully they soft sunseted the knife and if interest is still enough in it, it will come back again in still D2 steel. The Cerberus is still available, but I think I got the last logically priced one on the internyet from what I've seen. The Cerberus's Handle might be "To Big!", but I learned after being an idiot giving away my RD4 to by brother( the RD4 is the best knife ever for cleaning and skinning deer and great for killing critters when its big critter killing harvest time on the farm), the bigger handle in proportion to the blade is a good thing. If I didn't live in "EVIL DAGGER LAND" I would of sharpened the swedge on one or two of my Cerberuses. One rides in the car, the other in the main pack and one for belt riding and another in reserve, never thought I'd get so many! Oh yeah gave 2 away... To others the OKC Cerberus doesn't look "Tactical" and more Oldie Time "Conventional". I love telling those people, "Oh it was made for the military but now its just for us Civies now!"

So far my plan for the next middling knives are restock of my Gerber Strongarms and the OKC RAK, both I found are great saber grind knives that work way above their weight class. For more Woodsy Bushsy tasks I'd say the RAK is better at that with it's "Ridiculous" choil that makes working with the RAK easier than the Strongarm. Eh' BOTH work great and both have their strength and weaknesses. I do how ever like the more simple sheath of the RAK though (yeah its CHEAP, but it WORKS!), in hot weather I seem to have problems with the Strongarm sheath getting to "loose" for its knife. Good thing it has that top strap for keeping it in its sheath.

Well one Cerberus lost to a niece, and another one of my RAKs. One liked the handle on the Cerberus, who filed that little part that likes to nick ya if your hand shifts forward. The RAK went to the one with small hands who loved the choil, even kept the point on the end for winter ice chipping duty. She loved the big spear point saber grind blade on the knife.

My only complaint is I can't rebuild my suppy of those two knives. Oh well, still got some reserve Cerberuses and one RAK left.

Back