Off Topic OKCA show?

I hope to be there in the morning. I'll be leaving the coast at 0600 and if the creeks don't block my path I'll be there. I should be easily recognized.

It was great seeing you at the show today. My wallet is a tad lighter but I think I did really well.
No I need to find the perfect wood for a certain little Hults Bruk...

It was great seeing you at the show today. My wallet is a tad lighter but I think I did really well.
No I need to find the perfect wood for a certain little Hults Bruk...
Mine too but I tried to have restraint. That one guy had a Carl Helsper axe, like @ithinkverydeeply posted recently, who "had done some research last night" (wonder where all that material comes from?) and wanted more than I was going to pay for his new-found knowledge. I'm not sure he even was willing to take an offer now that he was aware that it was that old. I really did want a nice 4lb Mann Lewistown rafting pattern that he had but after I picked it up and said it was nice, how much, he said it wasn't for sale and put it under his table lol. Variation on a theme.

The show was great in my opinion. That is based off only going to the one though. I recognized several characters from other venues/events. There were some highly "prized" axes available but going for retail prices - I can't begrudge that anymore I guess. Picked up a neat little Douglas sawyer's wedge, one of those Craftsman hatchets with hardened poll/lugged ears on the handle end of the eye, and a little double bit that looks halfway between a cruiser and saddle axe-sized deal.
I started looking at knives but was a bit overwhelmed honestly.

The best part was getting to chat with Mack Mack and @John A. Larsen. Gentlemen, thank you both for the conversations. I don't need any more axes but I made the drive primarily for the potential of shaking hands with some of the characters that post here.

Protourist, if you measure the eye I might have something to fit it or something that can be reduced to fit it. And thank you for the tailgate party and sharing those knives. The Rifleman kind of blew me away when I handled it. (Maybe share a picture of that thing, with an axe of course ;))

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to hunt down a handle that fits my eyes just right. That little thing is going in my backpack and I want it to fit me better than my gloves.
That little double you got is really a cool little axe. I'd love to know who made it and what they called it.

What, this old thing?
w5XPJC4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to hunt down a handle that fits my eyes just right. That little thing is going in my backpack and I want it to fit me better than my gloves.
That little double you got is really a cool little axe. I'd love to know who made it and what they called it.

What, this old thing?
w5XPJC4.jpg

Seriously, when I held that Rifleman I was taken aback. Being as long as it is, it is weighted/balanced like a real extension of your hand. I think I muttered something along the lines of, "No one is taking my Mission!".

Just the cruiser, wedge, and hatchet head were procured there. I do think I will make attending the the show a yearly endeavor though.

Just wondering if any PNW axe heads are going to the Oregon Knife Collectors Association show this weekend in Eugene?

I know at least one of you are :thumbsup:

Man, I'm bummed that I didn't see this thread earlier, I was at the show yesterday in the afternoon. I live just south of Eugene (Cottage Grove) and this was the third time that I've gone, it has been a blast each time!

Like everyone else, i definitely spent a bit more than I'd planned on. I typically try to stay in the garage sale/flea market price bracket, but there were a few "must have" patterns that I've been looking to add to the collection, and couldn't pass em up!

eymv24c.jpg

I walked away with these two rafting patterns, a Flint Edge and a no name with eye ridges, plus this sweet True Temper Vulcan cruiser.

Man, I'm bummed that I didn't see this thread earlier, I was at the show yesterday in the afternoon. I live just south of Eugene (Cottage Grove) and this was the third time that I've gone, it has been a blast each time!

Like everyone else, i definitely spent a bit more than I'd planned on. I typically try to stay in the garage sale/flea market price bracket, but there were a few "must have" patterns that I've been looking to add to the collection, and couldn't pass em up!

eymv24c.jpg

I walked away with these two rafting patterns, a Flint Edge and a no name with eye ridges, plus this sweet True Temper Vulcan cruiser.

I’m with you on the prices but two rafting heads and a cruiser in the same place at the same time is hard to come by.

I’m with you on the prices but two rafting heads and a cruiser in the same place at the same time is hard to come by.
My thoughts exactly! I though that the prices were mostly fair, and most of the vendors seemed to enjoy a bit of haggling which is always half the fun .

I wish I had seen the thread before heading out, it would have been fun to meet up with some fellow rust junkies. Would anyone be interested in setting up some sort of GTG? It sounds like there are quite a few of us here in the PNW...

Back