Oklahoma fires

Yvsa, how are you faring out there? I've been away from BF for a couple days, and just hope that everybodys okay. If you've got internet access, I'm assuming everybodys okay, but still, prayers for everybody out there. Same for the people in Texas, and those in California getting drowned in these torrential rains.

We're fine SHS, thanks for asking. So far no fires really close to us, maybe 10-15 miles away give or take a few.
We've been experienceing unseasonal temps in the mid 70's with very low humidity. It was 73* when we went for an eight block walk yesterday and was supposed to get to 75* but I don't know if it made it.
Our thermometer was registering 77* last Sunday when we were supposed to have had our 11th annual new Years Day Sweatlodge Ceremony that was canaceled because of the state wide burn ban.
It's not only Oklahoma but Texas, and now New Mexico, Arkansas with Texas being right up there with us or worse.:(
Lots of homes and out buildings lost but so far only one life lost that I know about. Some poor folks have lost everything they owned except for maybe a broken down old vehicle. It's rough.:(

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Wow. 10-15 miles seems close to me. Smoke and prayers for those in the area, and especially you Yvsa.

Glad you be ok Yvsa,you seem a lucky old boy so I think it'll miss ya.

Though it's utter s**t what those in the west are going through...my home state of CA is a pool now it seems! :eek:

Glad you're still safe Yvsa. I just got notice the the Carroll clan down there are surviving too. My Uncle Bob had to plow a fire break around his ranch though... the fire got REAL close, but couldn't cross the break.

Nice to have a tractor and plow :)

Alan

Thanks everyone. We really, really, need some rain and a lot of it in the form of a good soaking rain for at least two weeks and that would be just a good start.
We're already a 1/4" behind this year and today's only the 6th, counting what we are behind from last year I think we're down around 13 inches.:(

And it's going to get worse for at least the next two weeks.
One of our better weathermen says there may be a chance for rain coming maybe about then but nothing is for sure.
We're supposed to have temps in the mid 70's again Saturday, forecast is for 75 degrees and then again on Wednesday when the forecast is for 73 degrees.

In addition to the Red Flag Burn Ban that was in force the Okie Governor has now added, no charcoal grilling, no campfires, and some types of welding is banned as well.
Up until today there has been 3 human lives lost due to the fires, over 200-250 homes have burned down, and IIRC around 330,000 acres.
At least one family has lost several head of cattle in a fire.
The cows that didn't die in the fire were badly burned and have skin sloughing off, some of them were in such a hot fire that their eyeballs melted and now they're blind.
They expect to lose several more head because of the after affects of smoke inhalation.
It was heart wrenching watching the film clip they had filmed for the story.:( :( :( :(

And of course we still have the ignorant asses who throw lighted cigarette buts out their car windows.
At least one guy who was caught burning trash that threw some sparks and consequently started a grass fire was sentenced to a $500.00 fine and a year in jail, he's gonna fight the charge.:rolleyes:
I'm praying he loses!

It is amazing what people will do... the Jasper Fire, SD's largest wildland fire at the time (might still be... this was back in 2000) was started by some digbat who tossed a lit cigarette into some dried weeds and watched it burn... just WATCHED it. Good Grief!!! It's a shame it isn't illegal for stupid people to breed :mad:

Hope you get some rain soon Yvsa. Heck, we hit the 60's today, but we have a bunch of snow melt to keep us wet.

Alan

Not only are cattle being injured in fires, but this is also destroying the hay crops, so they're looking at serious shortages in feed for cattle that aren't affected by the fire.

Luckily, like Yvsa, still safe here in the city. But that can definitely change. Suppsoed to make it into the low 80s this weekend, and still dry as a bone.