old 22 ammo

I had this railroad cop tell me there was a brand of 22 ammo from the old days that had to be discontinued because it was too tough on revolvers and some models would break . Anybody got an idea of what brand he might have been talking about .

Also I shoot CCI stingers in my Nylon 66 . Is there a brand with more bang for the buck . By that I mean is there one with a little more power .

Kevin, I've been a common sewer :D of good and bad guns for for over 50 years, and I have never heard of 22LR that would disassemble guns. Winchester did have a forerunner of the 22 Mag which would fit in some 22LR chambers....could that be it? Maybe Winchester 22WLR vs. today's 22WMR?

No I don,t think so . It seemed like he was talking about good old 22 ammo . Now this might be a bit of a comment on some gun manufacturers getting away with something they couldn,t get away with today . This gentleman did make it clear that this ammo was really something .What do you think .

New gun mag says that CCI has come out with 22LR VELOCITOR ammo, 40 grain bullet at 1470 out of a rifle barrel.

Aguila also has something with a bit more oomph than stingers, or they did at one time. name of the round slips my mind.

Honestly I,m looking for a hunting round . I,m not looking to hunt deer with the 22 just trying to maximise performance .

I once owned an old Jennings that would experience occasional ballistic disassembly. It wasn't because of the ammunition though.

But back on topic - we're talking .22LR here. How much power are you hoping to achieve?

I,m not comparing the 22lr round to anything but itself . I don,t want more than it can give , I just want to get the most out of it I can . I don,t have a lot of cash to buy any rifle I want or even that many more rifles in my life . I was glad to be given a double barrel shotgun cause I was tired of working my right handed bolt action twelve gauge . I,m a lefty .

DKP

Best bang for the buck I have found is Winchester Dyna-point. The Aquila Co. has a round which sports a 60-grain bullet. It will fit any standard .22lr chamber & will operate in any modern .22lr firearm, including semi-autos. I have not gotten to do a lot of testing in my rifles, but it looks good out of a Ruger Mk II. the only group I have had opportunity to fire was at 10 yards. The Aquila stuff put 7 rounds in 3/16" out of that pistol. Haven't fired it in any long guns, or revolvers yet. It won't "disassemble" a modern firearm.

It looks like I may have to ride the rails and scare up that railroad cop again and ask him what round he was talking about .

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
The Zombie Survival Guide actually states that .22LR is one of the best rounds for zombie destruction in a scouting or bugging out situation when paired with a .45 handgun and a double duty hand held tool/weapon (gee, wonder what WE would use for that one:rolleyes: ).

Speaking of .22LR ammo, what do you expert suggest to use in your standard run of the mill semi-auto rifle? I've got a nice little semi with a 15 round tube mag that I want to take out for some plinking fun. I don't need a plinking round as where i plan to shoot is wide open. All I have ever shot is you standard cheap stuff.

Jake

I am biased towards the CCI stinger . One thing I like besides its cycling well through my remington is the sharp clean crack it makes when shot . It fools me into thinking it has a cleaner burning powder and it keeps my barrel cleaner . Its not the cheapest 22 ammo out there . My Remington holds 13 . I always put in 12 as that last one feels tight in the mag . Hey if you can,t do the job with twelve then the thirteenth is just to end your misery ! L:O:L