Old as dirt Foster Bros. Cleaver.

Hey fellas, I found an old Foster Bros. Cleaver in a field last night. It has Foster Bros. 2190 stamped on it. It is MASSIVE!!! The only info I can find out on it is here..

http://www.sotherden.net/fosterbrothersindex.htm

It is pretty rough right now, and will take time to restore to its former glory, but I can tell you this. It takes one heck of an edge!!

Can anyone fill in the gaps with this beast? Anyone else have one?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's two pics I took with my phone. The knife is 15" from tip to tip, with a 9" blade. I hit both sides with a wire wheel, and then worked the blunted edge with diamond hone and a pair of black sticks.

Attachments

• IMG_20120620_193810.jpg
    IMG_20120620_193810.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20120620_193826.jpg
    IMG_20120620_193826.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 31
I am seriously considering REALLY cleaning it up and putting some Lignum Vitae handles on it!!

I wish I could find me one of those....

Clean her up and put her back to work(doing anything but sitting and rusting)

Here's two pics I took with my phone. The knife is 15" from tip to tip, with a 9" blade. I hit both sides with a wire wheel, and then worked the blunted edge with diamond hone and a pair of black sticks.

You should have just sanded it with 220grit sandpaper. Those wirewheels are no good unless they are mounted on a motor.

personally, i would have left the knife alone and kept the seasoned look. an 80 year old knife that looks brand new is no longer able to tell it's stories...

as for getting the blade looking new, i would blunt the cutting edge, lay it flat and use a sanding block or sanding sponge to even the surface. take your time, it will take a while but the finished product should be good.

Thats awesome ! I got one & cleaned it up too. It's yours, do what you want to it.JSYK, there is a cleaver discussion thread in the axe subforum.

Back