Old bandsaw repair options?

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey folks, I've got an old delta wood cutting bandsaw, I'd say it's probably a 10" or so. It's old, super awesome westinghouse motor finally gave up the ghost last weekend and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

I got the old girl for free from a friend of mine who found her on the side of the road, about 10 years ago, and I think I've put in about 50$ or so into updating her with a new set of tires.

So not a whole lot invested so far.

I see a couple options here.
1. Use a 110v motor I have on hand and get a new step pully that fits.
2. Buy a 3 phase motor, mount it direct drive style and use my grinder's vfd for speed control.
3. Buy a new bandsaw.

What do y'all think?

Randydb

Basic Member
Personally I would grab a 3 phase off craigs and use the vfd you already have for your grinder. I am addicted to variable speed now.

Fix her up with a new 3 phase motor. Vfd is good when cutting g10 and micarta, which like lower speed than wood.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
3Phase motor and VFD.
Get a good Lenox or similar metal cutting blade as well as a carbide tipped wood cutting blade for it.
New tires, blade guides, and other wear parts.

Last edited:
Your old Delta band saw is probably much better than any new saw you could buy. Like other said, just get another motor.

A.McPherson

So I thought I'd throw up some pics of the old motor, just in case some of you like old stuff too!

h9dnxMa.jpg

PPVuqIz.jpg

FredyCro

Basic Member
My bandsaw has seen better days as well, I think it needs new tires, new belt and new bearings. Maybe a stronger motor as well.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith , how powerful should the motor be for cutting steel? My 750w seems to struggle on stainless steel above 4 mm?

My bandsaw has seen better days as well, I think it needs new tires, new belt and new bearings. Maybe a stronger motor as well.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith , how powerful should the motor be for cutting steel? My 750w seems to struggle on stainless steel above 4 mm?

It's not all in the horse power. For example among floor standing industrial versions of smaller size (310 mm / 12" throat depth) 1/2 and sometimes 1 hp is most common. Mine has 360 mm depth and uses 2900 mm long blades, has a 1 hp motor and no issues cutting thick stuff.

0QT5NBx.jpg

Smaller portable units compensate with more hp. For comparison my old bench top one (Femi 783XL) had 950 W using 1335 mm blades..

FredyCro

Basic Member
It's not all in the horse power. For example among floor standing industrial versions of smaller size (310 mm / 12" throat depth) 1/2 and sometimes 1 hp is most common. Mine has 360 mm depth and uses 2900 mm long blades, has a 1 hp motor and no issues cutting thick stuff.

0QT5NBx.jpg

Smaller portable units compensate with more hp. For comparison my old bench top one (Femi 783XL) had 950 W using 1335 mm blades..
That looks nice, it's a metal cutting saw, no? What speeds does it run (I see there is a selector, but can't read it), do you cut wood with it as well?

I have a Emco BS3, it runs 2120mm bandsaw and a has a pulley system for different cutting speeds and the disc sander. I am thinking if it's worth the money for new tires and belt (ca 100 Euro). Ultimately I think it would need a real pulley guide system and and a stronger motor which would set me back another 200-300 euros.
talwFPp.jpg

it's a metal cutting saw, no? What speeds does it run (I see there is a selector, but can't read it), do you cut wood with it as well?

Yes it's a metal band saw. I was only talking about those. Wood cutting saws typically run higher speeds and have more hp.

Mine runs 30-90 m/min. I have it set on 30 always and use 18 tpi blades. For steel, micarta, g10. I don't use any wood in the shop.