Old...cold...steel...(Outdoorsman, circa 1996)

BOSS1

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Well, this one had been in mothballs for about 15 years. Obviously, with the personal engraving, not much of a chance of it going anywhere. I'd really had less than stellar results trying to freehand sharpen that long sweeping blade. Years ago, I put a less than glistening edge on it...ok, let's be honest, it was pretty ugly. Serviceable, but far from what this blade deserves.

A little while back I happened into a trade for an Edge Pro, and since that time have been squaring away some blades that haven't seen much daylight in awhile. This Outdoorsman is now very sharp from tip to choil, 21 deg. per side. I had to do a good amount of re-profiling to resolve some of my previous efforts, so it took a little while. I might dress it up a little more down the line when I have some more time to devote to it.

I think is one of the better knives/designs to come out of the CS shop...I think a micarta handled version would really be pretty awesome. I note newer ones have the 'bonebreaker/band cutter' edge on the spine. That probably makes a good bit of sense on this type of knife, but I still like the simplicity of my version.

So without further ado, a bit of a blast from the past...

BOSS

Attachments

• DSC03579.jpg
    DSC03579.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC03567.jpg
    DSC03567.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC03543.jpg
    DSC03543.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03544.jpg
    DSC03544.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03571.jpg
    DSC03571.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've got a somewhat newer model with the "bone breaker " feature you mention. I've always thought that "Outdoorsman" was a poor name for the knife as it strikes me as having a "tactical" look. The leather sheath for the knife is nicely made but I wish Cold Steel offered an aftermarket kydex sheath so I could carry mine inside the waistband with a Spyderco G-clip.

I've always thought that "Outdoorsman" was a poor name for the knife as it strikes me as having a "tactical" look.

It's always reminded me of a traditional Japanese tanto. I wonder what the Japanese equivalent of "outdoorsman" would be? It might be a more suitable name. :thumbup:

I've got a somewhat newer model with the "bone breaker " feature you mention. I've always thought that "Outdoorsman" was a poor name for the knife as it strikes me as having a "tactical" look. The leather sheath for the knife is nicely made but I wish Cold Steel offered an aftermarket kydex sheath so I could carry mine inside the waistband with a Spyderco G-clip.

You could give them a call to see if any are available, or I could make one for you. Got plenty of Spyderco G-Clips (I designed them for Spyderco).

Back