Old cross Pioneer

Discussion in 'SwissBianco' started by raider31, Sep 15, 2014.

1. raider31

raider31

Dec 29, 2008
    I just acquired a NIB red alox old cross pioneer with brass liners. Is this considers a collectable? Should I carry it or just add it to the collection?

2. ufox9al

ufox9al Slacker at large Moderator

Jun 28, 2007
    Old cross Pioneers seem t be the most common of all old-cross models. That said, NIB/mint pieces tend to sell at a considerable premium over used ones. So, if yours is in new condition, I would make it a shelf queen and pick up another, mildly used one, for EDC ;)

3. raider31

raider31

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I came home from work to find my dog had eaten the box. I guess it's going to make it's way into my edc.

4. swissbianco

swissbianco Moderator Moderator

May 28, 2005
    now that is an excuse for actually edc that colectable lol

5. Mike-The-Knife

Mike-The-Knife

Dec 6, 2011
    It is like this one? Mine is an old Elinox , but I carry It often .

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. Tuco23

Tuco23

Dec 29, 2014
    Is that a soldier? I dint know they made red ones. Very Nice!

7. Mike-The-Knife

Mike-The-Knife

Dec 6, 2011
    I think the Soldier models had a number on the tang . This one has the Elinox markings on one side of the tang and VSSR on the other , so I "believe" it's a pioneer .

8. Tuco23

Tuco23

Dec 29, 2014
    I thought the Soldier was the only model to come with a bail? Either way it’s really cool. I much prefer the old cross logo.

9. ufox9al

Jun 28, 2007
    Pioneer and Woodsman models were also made with a bail.

10. Tuco23

Tuco23

Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks, good to know. So the date stamp is the only way to definitively identify a Soldier?

11. ufox9al

Jun 28, 2007
    On the issued Soldiers, the tool set is the same as Pioneer, but 1) the shield is different, 2) there is a year stamp on the tang, and 3) there is no key ring. At various times, there were "mules" produced, with 1 or 2 of the 3 Soldier's distinguishing features. There is a bit of a debate on what to call those, but they have never been issued to Swiss Army.

12. Simian5353

Simian5353

Dec 10, 2014
    Lol! That is something my dog would do! It is as good an excuse as any to carry it. I find that collecting and using don't mix well anyway...