Old Delica reunion

I just recently replaced the old frn clipped Delica in one of my kits with a SAK.
This one is in AUS-8. Anyway I haven't handled it in quite awhile, and actually like the feel of it more than my other two metal clipped Delicas. The bulge of the plastic clip and the support around the pivot pin make it a pleasing little handfull. And the handle has a rounder drop at the heel. The blade is different too, maybe just a grinding anomaly but it is 1/4' shorter than newer ones with a bit more belly. All in all I was pondering what a difference a few slight things can make in the feel and use of even a mass produced item like this. No wonder there are so many custom makers.
Anyone else still carry one of these, how old are they? I think this one is a decade in my employ.

uitlander,

Greetings from Edmonton, & I am from Winnipeg myself originally.

I too own one of the old style Delicas and I agree completely with you about the feel, they feel great in the hand with their moulded in clip...and I think the non-clip side of this version looks really nice. :)

Apparently, the blade length was changed from 2 7/8" to 3" when the new style changes were put into effect. Interestingly, the current Delica II (s/s version) still uses the older 2 7/8" blade length.

Nice talking to you - Jeff/1911.

Hello,
I just bought an older NIB Delica with the integral clip and G-2 steel, the handle does have more purchase to it IMHO, I actually prefer it to the newer metal clip. I carry SE Spydies and the older Delicas serrations run closer to the tip than the newer models, I can't belive I got it for $30 + s/h. Its a great knife that gets alot of pocket time. Cheers, Rob

Jeff/1911
Do you miss the 'Peg. I spent 4 years there, commuting from south Pembina Hwy to the airport. Still listen to the traffic reports on CJOB in the morning sometimes, just for a chuckle. Makes small town life a little easier to bear. :)

Wotanson,
I dunno what it is, must be the buyers but I have never actually seen a full se Spydie or sale up here.. Only one I handled was a ss one (police model?) a Canforces soldier had picked up in his travels. Swore he'd leave the missus home before he'd leave the Spydie. I thought it was ugly, but then that was many moons ago when I was young and stupid.
All the stores seem to handle were/are 50/50's. I found my last Delica, a straight edge vg-10 at a gun show and it was rare.

Why do you feel full se is better for all around utility than straight edge? Anybody?

I love the Delicas but find the 50/50 an irksome ocompromise now. Maybe cause the my LM Wave is there now with its nice serrated slicer?
thx for responses,
cheers

I see that many of us preffer the pre 98 Delica. And I was thinking I'm an old dinosaur here ;)

uitlander said:
Jeff/1911
Do you miss the 'Peg. I spent 4 years there, commuting from south Pembina Hwy to the airport. Still listen to the traffic reports on CJOB in the morning sometimes, just for a chuckle. Makes small town life a little easier to bear. :)

Wotanson,
I dunno what it is, must be the buyers but I have never actually seen a full se Spydie or sale up here.. Only one I handled was a ss one (police model?) a Canforces soldier had picked up in his travels. Swore he'd leave the missus home before he'd leave the Spydie. I thought it was ugly, but then that was many moons ago when I was young and stupid.
All the stores seem to handle were/are 50/50's. I found my last Delica, a straight edge vg-10 at a gun show and it was rare.

Why do you feel full se is better for all around utility than straight edge? Anybody?

I love the Delicas but find the 50/50 an irksome ocompromise now. Maybe cause the my LM Wave is there now with its nice serrated slicer?
thx for responses,
cheers

I prefer SE to any other edge type offered by Spyderco, allways have. To me it just cuts better, faster and needs fewer touch ups than PE in a utility role. Combo edge is too much of a bad thing (PE) not enough of a good thing (SE) for me. Is there a problem with the Canadian government and SE knives? I have heard of confiscations in customs of knives.

I just recently got a pre-98 delica, and I like it way better than the new version. For starters, there's absolutely no blade play. All of my newer delicas had just a little bit. Next, I can gorilla grip the handle, in any position, and the lock won't be disengaged. But, that's just me. Also, the plastic clip is way more comfortable than the metal clip when holding the knife.

bob7

Can someone tell me the weight on one of these classic integral-clip, aus-8 Delicas? I'm looking at buying one and would like to know how it compared weight-wise to today's Delica. Thanks!

I can't give you numbers, but I can say it is slightly heavier than the 3 (with the barrel bolt metal clip) and noticeably lighter than the 4 (with steel liners).

Here is a pic of my D4 [top] along with my first Delica. I forget when I bought it, let's just say many years ago. GIN2 steel with integral clip, and still going strong with no blade play. I have to say that I like the D4 better but would never part with my first Delica.:)

I have one I bought in the early 1990s (can't remember exactly when). It is the only serrated knife I own. I can't compare it to later Delicas as I don't own any but I like it in its own right. The moulded clip is a feature I like, not so much because of the grip but because its so much easier to clip back on the pocket than any of the steel clip folders I have. The trade off is that it not as secure but is a lot more convenient. I often find with some steel clipped models that I have to use my other hand to assist in clipping the knife to my pocket. One handed opening maybe, but two hands to put it away. I am ready to concede that maybe its my technique - I don't spend hours practising.
I also have an older CS Voyager with this moulded clip style that I think was done under some licensing arrangement with Spyderco.

Can someone tell me the weight on one of these classic integral-clip, aus-8 Delicas? I'm looking at buying one and would like to know how it compared weight-wise to today's Delica. Thanks!
Delica integral clip=1.8 oz.
Delica4=2.5 oz.

Back