Old dmt sharpener

I got a dmt 4 inch diamond sharpener that was carried in a very old schrade steel hone sheath. It appears to be old. Is there anyway to tell the age? Also it's supposed to be 600 grit but feels A LOT finer. I cleaned but it is still VERY FINE. Could it be worn or is diamond stone grits not as coarse as aluminum carbide grits (what I'm used to). Thanks for the help!

Put a little oil on it (2 or 3 drops), and do some grinding with a test blade, as if setting a bevel. If the diamond is still there and doing it's job, you'll see the oil become quickly blackened with swarf; even more obvious if you wipe it with a clean white rag or towel. Even if it might be working at a finer finish than when new, it's possible it's still perfectly useful.

A pic of it would be helpful, in attempting to gauge the age of it.

Clean it with BreakFree CLP or equivalent: that's how I maintain my DMTs, and they are still good after three decades.

Clean it with BreakFree CLP or equivalent: that's how I maintain my DMTs, and they are still good after three decades.
Well I did what dmt said and cleaned it with a cleaning abrasive (comet) and it still sharpens a bit. I just want to know if it's on its last legs or not but so far it's a pretty good sharpener. A little finer than I like but I don't mind as long as it will cut.

Well I did what dmt said and cleaned it with a cleaning abrasive (comet) and it still sharpens a bit. I just want to know if it's on its last legs or not but so far it's a pretty good sharpener. A little finer than I like but I don't mind as long as it will cut.
Try BreakFree.

Back