1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Old Fart Venting- - "Worth It"

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by MikeH, Oct 17, 2016.

1. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    'Worth' is a concept we humans put on material things based on various criteria we set, and whether it be knives, cars, houses, thermal mugs, whatever, there is always a difference (and sometimes a vast one) between what things are worth and what things cost.

2. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    I have on the shelf next to my PC an old orange ceramic coffee cup. It is faded and blemished. It is the only thing I requested of my father-in-law's estate after he died.

When Kathy and I would visit during hunting season, my FNL, who was in ill health from decades of smoking, would always get up before I arose at 4:30 to go hunting.
    He would have a good breakfast ready and a pot of coffee waiting. It was his way of participating with me. He did not do this for his own sons when I wasn't there, but always did for me and his sons if they were there when I was. I always used this cup on those mornings. It is a remembrance to me of the man.

You would probably think me foolish for the amount of money I would decline to sell this old cup for. It's worth or value to me is determined solely by me. It would not be worth it to anyone else in the world, but don't try to tell me it isn't "worth it."

A lot of people think the YETI mug is "worth it", and to them it is, even if some of it's worth for them comes from a feeling of exclusiveness that they wouldn't get from the Ozark trail mug. I myself wouldn't dream of buying one, because I would get no warm fuzzies from owning it. But that's me, and I in no way impune them for having one.

3. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish

Apr 6, 2014
    Live and let live.

4. Gress

Gress

Feb 8, 2009
    Mike,
    I was going to salute you with a glass of expensive wine, but after reading your coffee cup story I salute you with a cup of coffee!

5. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    Sometimes the best doesn't win by much, but a win is a win.

We say "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

For me, INFI beats everything for choppers. That's an overall type of win.

Then you add in Busse's designs, and that's worth money too. And Busse still isn't the most expensive.

Al

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    The Yukon cooler beats the Yeti, and The Canyon outfitters beats both, for less money. But they are all close in quality.
    The Yeti cups, however, are the best in my experience and the reviews I watched say the same. Also the Yeti has a better design on their cups.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    So true! Good read brother.

8. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    It's all subjective┬ů everybody has a different idea of what value is. Just look at the car market...

9. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    That made me 😊