Old fighting kukri, its fast,fast,fast!

I know some of you guys like to see nice old fighting kukri so heres my latest pickup.

A local antique dealer called last week & said I might want to go round as hed recently picked up an old kukri for me on the off chance it was a good one.

I noticed the handle immediatly, a good just on 6 inch long handle {lambendh in Nepal.} The scabbard old , genuine & well worn but with some small very rare quill work on back pocket cover. {quill work needs cleaning to show it... Its between the stiching.}

001-9.jpg

0022.jpg

007-1.jpg

so with excitment mounting I slowly drew the blade , I was pleased to find this inside its scabbard.

014-4.jpg

008-7.jpg

The First old genuine dia chirra fighting Lambendh Ive seen. {as far as I can recall.}

I generaly prefer the feel of Ang khola blades over dia chirras on broad bladed kukri but this is so light & finely balenced for its size I am verry happy with it!

Very fine detail on handle but sadley the camera seems to be losing focos in its old age.{I hope its the camera anyway! :| }

Spiral

Sweet, thanks for sharing. It looks like camera shake is causing the blurriness, more than focus anyways. Try a higher ISO setting, better lighting, or a tripod

That's a beauty - particularly the fullers and handle carving. The flap on the karda/chamka pouch is interesting, and seems like a good idea - or is that the fancy version of a frog?

What's the over all length?

Thanks Ted, ill look into it. :thumbup:

Cheers guys, Tohatchi the blade is 14 inches, handle 5 7/8ths o/a 19 inches but weights just 13 1/2 oz.!

The pouch cover turns up on quite a few old kukri including high quality "officer type" pieces & most "Sherpa" style villagers Ive seen as well.

It is practical as it helps keep either tinder or paper money dry in the pouch.

Spiral

Long time, no see, Spiral! Great score, this one. 6" is a little longer than your typical khuk handle, wha? But how does that center ring feel in the hand?

Damn Spiral you really made a score on this one and I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those that has found a permanent home with you, right? ;) :D :cool: It's absolutely amazing too me how the old kamis were able too forge a blade of such a size and manage to get it so thin and light with such defined fullers!:thumbup: :eek: :cool:

You've graciously provided us with the length of the blade and overall length so may we ask that you go a bit further and post the width of the blade at its belly and waist as well as the thickness of the spine and the line at the top of the edge bevel?
It would also be nice to have the blade's thickness at the bottom of those beautiful fullers but you may not have a way to do that..... Or do you?
Out of total pure curiosity I'd also like to know if any waviness can be felt by running the bottom of the fullers slowly back and forth with a thumb and forefinger to check for very faint hammer marks. I'd think that "webbed" area, for want of a better word, would also be quite thin seeing as how light the kukri happens to be..... :eek:

Cheers C.S. I spend less time on the net nowadays & its not so often I still find examples that I feel add overall to my collection. Currently I collect by my perceptions, of good example of historical {including military.}type, rarity & skillfull manufacter, rather than by numbers. My collections been thinned down to 78 pieces now. {That was a hard job!} But just aboute displayable instead of thier bieng kukris lying on evry surface in the place!

This ones grip is great for me as my hands a typicle Gurkha sized, but would be much to thin for many of you guys, the long {egg cross section.] grip I like was was very common on very early kukris, and allows variation in hand position, if the ring is between pinky & ring fingers its very comfterable as its very well shaped to fit.

Indeed Yvsa, Yes indeed its a got its green card. ;)

No problem the measurments are.

Spine is 7.25mm at bolster with distal taper towards front half of blade.

Waist is 27mm,

At belly 48mm,bevel thichness is 2.8mm, The mid ridge is 3mm thick. Shapening Bevel width is 9mm {at mid belly.}

Top fuller thickness approximatly 1.25 mm thick {at mid belly.}

Bottom thickness of lower fuller is .8mm thick! . {at mid belly.}

I can feel the waviness in a couple of places, but my favorite way of checking forging ripples as well as accuracy of blade smithing is hold the kukri grip upside down, blade pointing back towards ones eye with sharp edge upwards, while standing in front of window & gentley tilt blade to left & right as that reaveals the fuller picture for me I find. It shows up straigtness of forging & grinding as well.

Not sure what you mean by webbed area though?

Spiral

Fwooo! Thinned down to 78 pieces! Well, hard as it may have been to do, I'm sure some lucky folks ended up with the surplus.

Fantastic piece, wonder when I'll get around to having a similar one in my very meagre collection :) a guy can hope !!!

Great stuff chaps!

Thats how it works B.C.! Inspiration indeed! The others are now in many excelent British,US,Canadian,German,Sweedish,Italian & Australian kukri collections.{amongst others.]

One day Sta, one day. ;)

Yep, and we can consider thinning it down when we hit.. I dunno... 79 khuks! :cool:

Thats how I normaly operate, at least for the last 3 years, one in equals one out {sometimes 2 out.}, but have reached the point this week of not wanting to let any more go as I feel it would reduce the completness & quality of the examples in the collection.

If I find a similar example that I prefer then its easy, other than that I am stuck at 79 again!

Spiral

Indeed Yvsa, Yes indeed its a got its green card. ;)

No problem the measurments are.

Spine is 7.25mm at bolster with distal taper towards front half of blade.

Waist is 27mm,

At belly 48mm,bevel thichness is 2.8mm, The mid ridge is 3mm thick. Shapening Bevel width is 9mm {at mid belly.}

Top fuller thickness approximatly 1.25 mm thick {at mid belly.}

Bottom thickness of lower fuller is .8mm thick! . {at mid belly.}

I can feel the waviness in a couple of places, but my favorite way of checking forging ripples as well as accuracy of blade smithing is hold the kukri grip upside down, blade pointing back towards ones eye with sharp edge upwards, while standing in front of window & gentley tilt blade to left & right as that reaveals the fuller picture for me I find. It shows up straigtness of forging & grinding as well.

Not sure what you mean by webbed area though?

Spiral

Many Thanks Spiral!!:thumbup: You already took care of what I was calling, "The webbed area" when you put this measurement in.....
"Bottom thickness of lower fuller is .8mm thick! . {at mid belly.}"

Back