Old Hickory Bushcraft Videos

Over on youtube, Art Dawes aka pawildernessskills has created a video series of the Old Hickory 7 inch butcher knife being used for bushcraft work. We were impressed and thought we would share.

Check it out!

Haven't watched them all yet, but the videos seem pretty good so far.

So, now that the secret is out about Old Hick's being used as field knives (I've been doing that for a while now :) ) maybe you guys will consider offering some simple leather sheaths for them...

Oh and btw, how about you bring back the six incher too, or maybe even add a fiver?

This top knife I have had for years and do not even know why I have it as I have only used it maybe once to cut brisket.

I once tried to chop a stick in two with it but it was weird felling so I stopped. It was like I was going to shatter the blade as I am sure it is not meant for chopping.... at lest not sticks.

My granddad had a general store from the 1940's to the 1970's. He had a knife very similar to the one on top. It's sitting in my kitchen now. I also have all his Old Hickory butcher knives that he used over the years. Some are in better condition than others but all show signs of heavy use. Some need to have their scales replaced and I'll eventually get around to that.

As for the making a bushcraft knife out of an Old Hickory, I have a couple newer blades for that role. Again, it'll be when I get time to do it.

This top knife I have had for years and do not even know why I have it as I have only used it maybe once to cut brisket.

I once tried to chop a stick in two with it but it was weird felling so I stopped. It was like I was going to shatter the blade as I am sure it is not meant for chopping.... at lest not sticks.

Man I'd love to have one of those (top one). Any one know what they're called?

My OH7 is my favorite camp knife. Holds a shaving edge like none other and has stood up to decades of abuse. However, I don't think I'll go hacking limbs like I do with my RAK or batoning like with my Blackbird… not because I don't think it would handle it, but because I love it too much.

Super value for a nice quality highly useful CS blade....I have several. I get the Ka-bar sheath for these blades for around $10 and give them to friends as gifts.

Last edited:
I have the Old Hickory 7 inch butcher knife.....planning on getting the 14 inch butcher knife soon.

The 14" is larger in real life than you can possibly imagine. :D It makes a pretty fair smallish machete, in fact. I love mine. :thumbup:

True. Didn't think of that. Maybe mid-sizish machete would be a better description. :thumbup:

I modified a Old Hickory skinner into a nessmuk sorta thing, and I've found myself using it more and more all the time.

It's simple and handy, and now has a frontier look I really dig.

They really are a great value, especially when you consider they're USA made. Love the traditional look too. I've had a bit of trouble finding a sheath for the butcher knife. I got one of the Dave Canterbury ones and the handle sticks out too far. I'll give the kabar sheath a try (thanks Pirate63 for that). I wouldn't change much about the knife but it would be nice to have a bit thicker version and/or one that was more pointy (which is my only slight criticism of the butcher knife). Has anybody found a sheath for the pairing knife? I would like to play around with that knife in the woods.

Back