1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Hickory Hunting Knife??

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by LostViking, Feb 13, 2019.

1. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Word on the street is Old Hickory is releasing a 5” sheathed version of their iconic Butcher Knife.

Is this already out, in the works, or Pie in The Sky??

A search of “Hunting Knife” on Old Hik’s site netted me nothing.
    Same for OKC.
    A general Google Fu look netted the same.

Speak to me Oh Great and Knowledgable OKC Folks.

buckfynn likes this.
  2. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 25, 2000
    @LostViking

It’s happening :)

It’s in the video Spark posted of OKC’s new product line that was shown at this years Shot Show.

buckfynn and LostViking like this.
  3. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Outstanding!
    Thanks for the info.

buckfynn and Boru13 like this.
  4. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 25, 2000
    LostViking and buckfynn like this.
  5. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    They are now listed on Knife Center, available as a pre-order.

LostViking likes this.
  6. unklfranco

unklfranco

Apr 2, 2011
    This is a great idea. Glad to see it is carbon steel.

buckfynn likes this.
  7. Tenbeers

Tenbeers Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 1998
    Any word on a release date?

8. Husband

Husband

May 29, 2008
    Appreciate the heads up! I have reprofiled and rehandled many Old Hickory blades in more useable knives. This is a welcome addition. I have one on pre order from the Knife Center for right at $30 shipped. No word on when that will be.

9. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog

Mar 5, 2019
    Love my OH seven inch butcher, really looking forward to this new offering. An OH and a Mora Classic is one of my favorite combos

10. koreamarine

koreamarine

Sep 21, 2002
    JUST GOT MINE TODAY!
    Leather sheath is top notch.

Blade is OK. I will have to reprofile it on a diamond stone (one side is ground steeper than the other) but even just cleaning it up on a ceramic stick and stropping it, it was quite sharp.
    This is a winner. If you like the Old Hickory butcher knife and wanted a shorter handier blade, this is indeed for you.

buckfynn likes this.
  11. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Mine came in last week and I'm very happy with the purchase. :D

The quality of the sheath was a very nice surprise that has really exceeded my expectations.

Overall the knife is great. The grind on mine is solid and the blade is nice and thin. Very slicey. The fit and finish of the handle could be a bit better, but this is a $20 knife, so I think it's acceptable. A little sandpaper and it would be just fine. I actually purchased this with the intention of using the blade as a blank and making a new handle, so the handle doesn't matter much to me anyways.

I think OKC did a fantastic job on the knife and it should be great competition and a bit of an upgrade over something like a Morakniv Companion in the bush. Two thumbs up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. buckfynn

buckfynn

May 1, 2011
    @Fixall is the swedge sharpened or is a false edge?

13. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    If it's sharpened then it is a false edge.

14. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    Unlikely that knife manufactures in the U.S. would put a sharp edge on the swedge of a knife meant for public sales these days. Many states classify such knives as "double edge" blades and apply additional restrictions regarding them being carried. Many knife owners are not aware of their own States restrictions.

buckfynn likes this.
  15. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Sorry for the delay, been a bit sick.

The swedge is not sharpened.

buckfynn likes this.
  16. buckfynn

buckfynn

May 1, 2011
    No problem.

Thanks @Fixall and @sac troop for the replies. Not wild about knives with a swedge, but kind of hard to go wrong with this one at such a low price point.

17. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    OKC stopped the sharpened swedge on most of their civi sales I believe due to so many states having "EVIL DAGGER!" Laws.

I finally got an SP 5 with out the sharpened swedge because of it. I been stopped by several supposed expert cops seeing my "EVIL DAGGER" of a SP5 and tried to steal it for being an "EVIL DAGGER". Then they accused me of "dulling" the swedge till I pointed out the coating was on it. And ain't dulling the swedge make it not an "EVIL DAGGER" any more if I did it? I think it was their quota they were trying to fill. I found its nice to ride the belt and was mostly testing its veggimatic properties on my property. If I lived in a non "EVIL DAGGER!" free state, my SP-10s would get a sharpened swedge so fast.:D Well all but one, the camp beater that is needed for batoning tyrannicidal botanicals.