"Old Knives"

Thank you everyone, appreciate the likes. John, apparently It was designed specifically for grafting Pecan trees although I guess you could graft any nut or fruit tree with it. There are a couple YouTube videos showing how,

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the information.

Just in yesterday, Remington ca.1933-35 It has two different tang stamps , the circle UMC on the main blade was used up to 1933 and The circle with Remington in the middle on the spey was only used from 1933-35

Cool Acorn shield :thumbsup:

INEM2Q8h.jpg

ku5Ang8h.jpg

nY1GKIFh.jpg

bloRunUh.jpg

FFY3mydh.jpg

rxjU20Fh.jpg

EGIcSvuh.jpg

Last edited:
Augie- three outstanding knives! Each one is in gorgeous condition.

Charlie have you managed to contact this Private investigator yet? As this is definitely getting out of hand! :D

Steve! What a neat old Remington- man... anyone in their right mind would be glad to pick that knife up.

Great finds Gentleman and great viewing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone, appreciate the likes. John, apparently It was designed specifically for grafting Pecan trees although I guess you could graft any nut or fruit tree with it. There are a couple YouTube videos showing how,

Thanks for posting that video, Augie. I find purpose built knives made for specific tasks fascinating. Like fleams and timber scribes, etc. really cool to learn of a new one. (actually an old one, but new to me.) :)

Thank you Harry- that's extremely nice of you to say, I take my good looks in my stride.

Harry I am not too sure- the Cane is made out of Bamboo- one thing that I saw when I first picked it up was the Colouring of the Bamboo- it was old! when you see old Saya ( the Scabbard for the Katana / Wakizashi ) that has not been laquered at all- originally it looks very white and clean - over the years Centuries it gets a deep mellow look- somewhat like Stag, This Cane is a very old colour even for Cane - and this was noted by the chap whom looked at it.

Ok, enough of the Cane or I fear I will receive a few lashes from the mods, so I will add some old Knife content....
A very nice Older Primble, love the Bolsters and Bone, nice details everywhere- nice Swage work too on this Knife - a real little beauty...

qxHkvpG.jpg

XNcRnRF.jpg

7Av9g7s.jpg

zECifZq.jpg

Good looking knife, and I love those slanted bolsters.

Quite a variety of vintage knives spit out by the mailbox this week. A close to unused HSB Grand Daddy Barlow, A nice Schrade Cut Co 3 5/8" bare end jack and a Maher&Grosh Pecan grafting knife.

View attachment 1041878
View attachment 1041881 View attachment 1041882 View attachment 1041883 View attachment 1041884 View attachment 1041885 View attachment 1041886 View attachment 1041887

Neat Pecan Budding knife. Maher & Grosh offered these from about 1927 up to WWII.
Interesting to read in the description that M&G claims to be the "sole makers and distributors" of that model.

View attachment 1042209

Thank you Herder Sir!- actually.. when the Knife is in the hand- you really get to appreciate it- there are a lot of good things going on with this Knife- The Slanted Bolsters as you say make it even more appealing!

I've been away from this thread for too long and that pecan budding knife shook the doldrums from me. Having just finished cataloging my Winterbottom clad Queens, I'v turned some attention to "regular" bone Queens. Here's a Schatt & Morgan equal end with tip bolsters (1902-1928) and a Queen #21 (1945-1955) that Queen sometimes cataloged as a sleeveboard, but it seems senatorial to me.

mrFvDS3.jpg

zx12bOW.jpg

7U1VJGg.jpg

z7slT27.jpg

- Stuart

I've been away from this thread for too long and that pecan budding knife shook the doldrums from me. Having just finished cataloging my Winterbottom clad Queens, I'v turned some attention to "regular" bone Queens. Here's a Schatt & Morgan equal end with tip bolsters (1902-1928) and a Queen #21 (1945-1955) that Queen sometimes cataloged as a sleeveboard, but it seems senatorial to me.

mrFvDS3.jpg

zx12bOW.jpg

7U1VJGg.jpg

z7slT27.jpg

- Stuart
Nothing regular about those old bone pen knives Stuart! I love both of them but the tip bolstered one....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Actually watched a pretty much mint Queen 21 on the bay go for a fair price a few days ago but am too broke so all I could do was watch:(

Thanks for posting those, Stuart. Gorgeous.

Nothing regular about those old bone pen knives Stuart! I love both of them but the tip bolstered one....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Actually watched a pretty much mint Queen 21 on the bay go for a fair price a few days ago but am too broke so all I could do was watch:(

Thanks, Vince. And thank you, Nick. You are looking at that #21 here and now I'm broke. Merry merry to y'all.
- Stuart

No waayyyy??!! I’m glad it went to a good home Stuart! If you ever decide to let it up for adoption, I’ll take good care of it. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

No waayyyy??!! I’m glad it went to a good home Stuart! If you ever decide to let it up for adoption, I’ll take good care of it. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Those are some beauties Stuart !

Thanks, guys, and I gotcha, Nick. To keep the pic posting going, here's a middle-aged Primble 4953 jack (1940-1968):

wOrvDxr.jpg

jNbVKlz.jpg

CgWy00f.jpg

And for r8shell r8shell who mentioned enjoying seeing unusual knives, here's a pair of fleams. The stainless one is an Ulster 13-C, the brass one is unmarked.

pqH4WGg.jpg

- Stuart

Back