1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    So to finalise my previous posts on the last page of German Cutlery...here is a selection of German Cutlery ( 80% Early 20th Century Henckels ).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    willard0341, glennbad, meako and 17 others like this.
  2. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Great posts Duncan. I appreciate seeing all of your fine German knives, especially the Henckels.

Campbellclanman and Fodderwing like this.
  3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    What a nice collection, Duncan!!! Thanks for all the posts!!:thumbsup:

Campbellclanman likes this.
  4. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Great stuff Duncan!

5. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Duncan, wonderful reviews and beautiful German made knives—what’s not to like!!

6. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Dang Duncan!! Congrats! All are such beauties and in great condition. My favorite is the last Henckels saber ground whittler with the deep chunky jigging! What a knife!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Campbellclanman and Mike Robuck like this.
  7. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you my friends! :)

Veeery poor interior photos Im sorry :(

I bought a couple of real nice TL29's a while back- one is a Cattaraugus and the other is a Case xx tested.
    Both are in extremely nice condition.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

8. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Outstanding selection of great looking old German cutlery!:D
    Excellent pair of TL-29's; that Cattaraugus really takes the cake!;)

Campbellclanman and Fodderwing like this.
  9. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Indeed they are very nice.

10. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Duncan, all wonderful knives my friend, I had the pleasure of handling many of those and if you weren't such a nice guy I'm pretty certain they may not have been sent on:D

11. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I think by "red" they may mean red celluloid.

I think those catalog prices were usually wholesale prices. Retail would have been higher, probably double. The obvious exception to that would be things like the Sears Roebuck catalog, which was targeted directly to the consumer and had the retail prices.

12. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    WOW, what a fantastic group of beautiful German folders!!!
    German cutlery is so very under appreciated and the quality of those older made models from companies like Henckels, Boker, Klaas, Schlieper, Wingen and others, is as good or often better than the best from any other companies. If I was smart, I'd keep my mouth shut about the quality and beauty of old German knives. :)
    And some wonderful TL29 models as well my friend.

13. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Beautiful collection Duncan !

14. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Many Thanks guys for the kind comments! Not a collection by any means- just a gathering of a few German knives- I dare say that this will grow in the future though!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cudgee, Augie, knowtracks and 3 others like this.
  15. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Duncan, really like those slim Radio Electricians Knives more so than the standard TL29.

Picked up this WW2 Camillus rope knife, they are really common but this one is interesting in that it is unused and has a thick lanyard attached to it. The lanyard is probably twice as thick as the lanyard that came on the later ones with the can opener.
    I think I read one time that these knives were packed in life boats and life rafts, I would think they would have a lanyard but I have never seen another.

IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0494.jpg

16. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Awesome @Campbellclanman Dunc.
    Lovely to see such variety and those premium stockmen still with full blades..
    Cheers.

17. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Augie, Does it have "Approved USCG 1944Q5" on the right side of the tang? Looks like the original lanyard, as I have a current stainless steel version with "S702" on the right side of the tang and it also has a thick lanyard and the same type metal clamp to secure the lanyard ends. The newer version also has a can opener which at least to me makes sense as a lot of Life Boat survival rations are in cans. My 1944 once does not have the lanyard but it does have four groves cut into the spine of the handle, to include a small grooves in the back spring. My story is that it was carried by a Coast Guard Coxswain, who was commanding a Higgins boat in the Pacific during WWII and made 4 assault landings! John

Augie likes this.
  18. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    John, it does not have the " Approved USCG 1944Q5", I have other ones that do, I think I read somewhere that it makes it earlyWW2 production. The later one with can opener I have in it's original packaging has a lanyard but not as this thick as this one, this is the first early one I have come across with a lanyard.

19. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007

Nice example, Augie. I have not seen this model with a lanyard before. It does look thick but does look correct.

Augie likes this.
  20. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Wow Duncan, outstanding German knives, those Henckels whittlers, wow!