"Old Knives"

Anyone here know much about Robeson fixed blades? I just received this very nice Flame Edge 968 TC Super Hunter. The TC is for tungsten carbide on the mark side edge, the handle is laminated wood (ShurWood?) and the sheath is nearly identical to a late 1950s SW 148 sheath I have. The blade is 5-5/8" and the OAL is 10". I saw a similar knife on another site that still had the original checkerboard box with a Perry, NY end label. Any and all info is very much appreciated!

8hURqTS.jpg

Lots of awesome knives above - Lloyd, Lambertiana, Charlie (WOW - stunning Waterville right up my alley :D) and Augie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

waynorth waynorth - Recently in another thread Charlie was treating us to a show of knives from some old forgotten rolls :) and showed a beauty of an Empire which got me thinking about a few of mine .. so here is another Empire to share from me and one of my favorites which I now have some better photos to show... and it has a little story behind the find...

I picked this up maybe 4 or 5 years ago at that "auction" from a seller in the CT area - one of those weird auctions that ended at 6 am and only had this one photo... indeed looked like it was buried in the dirt (probably in a barn or shed or ?) - see the photo... Anyway I took a chance on it after the seller confirmed it had 2 blades :rolleyes: and I snapped it up for "pennies" with not much competition - probably based on this one seller photo I am thinking not much interest by others... that turned out to be my good fortune ;) ...

PAakeTQ.jpg

I was more than pleasantly surprised when I received it - though it had some dirt embedded in the bone after it was cleaned using gentle technique I found a real "treat" underneath all the crud - and the blades were tight, essentially full (perhaps lightly used and sharpened but not much) and they snapped like 'gators with half stops on both blades - I think it was lost in the dirt but protected from rain etc and thus my guess it was in a barn or similar in the dirt... anyway I have a real affinity for those big "tribal" spear blades ;) ... and despite the crack in the bone on the mark side (which for me is a minor issue when one weighs it against the rest of the knife) I really like this hefty jack for many reasons :cool:... Interestingly the pile side of the master had a model# which are not often seen on Empires - 066-S - and based on that the knife was found in a mid-1920s Empire catalog - the catalog cut is the last attachment - the knife was called a Bullhead... 3 & 5/8" closed length...

C4ZFyBD.jpg

naoEIwT.jpg

2By94pV.jpg

sXSNacn.jpg

JEnkNiV.jpg

I hope this catalog cut shows well - only scan I have and not sure of size but it is the bottom knife :) -

bb5LROe.jpg

I have an Empire pen with very similar bone - will dig it out to share as it makes a nice pair :thumbsup:...

Cheers - Lee

Interesting that the pen and main have different stamps, my CCC barlow has straight lines stamps on both blades but lacking "MO" after kansas city, I believe I posted it several pages back, beautiful bone on yours ! I don't know where this person got their info but its the only reference i found regarding them making knives.

61pdJjI.jpg

Never quite figured out this vintage knife collecting. I've seen fairly common knives go quick for a high price and other less common knives just sit. This is one that sat for a few months on the auction site so you have probably seen it. I noticed it at first but thought the price was too high and waited until it came down to what I thought was reasonable.

It's a really nice large 3 3/4" bare end lack with great bone and full blades, it has been cleaned but the edges are not rounded off and everything including tang stamps is crisp, maybe the cleaning is why it sat. Curtin&Clark were made roughly 1898 to 1920, early knives St.Joseph MO, later knives Kansas City MO.

Anyone know if Curtin&Clark made their own knives or did they have them made, I've seen that bone before but can't place it, also the font on the tang stamps look familiar, maybe Schatt&Morgan?

View attachment 1309835 View attachment 1309836 View attachment 1309837 View attachment 1309838 View attachment 1309840

Never quite figured out this vintage knife collecting. I've seen fairly common knives go quick for a high price and other less common knives just sit. This is one that sat for a few months on the auction site so you have probably seen it. I noticed it at first but thought the price was too high and waited until it came down to what I thought was reasonable.

It's a really nice large 3 3/4" bare end lack with great bone and full blades, it has been cleaned but the edges are not rounded off and everything including tang stamps is crisp, maybe the cleaning is why it sat. Curtin&Clark were made roughly 1898 to 1920, early knives St.Joseph MO, later knives Kansas City MO.

Anyone know if Curtin&Clark made their own knives or did they have them made, I've seen that bone before but can't place it, also the font on the tang stamps look familiar, maybe Schatt&Morgan?

View attachment 1309835 View attachment 1309836 View attachment 1309837 View attachment 1309838 View attachment 1309840

At first glance, that Curtin & Clark reminded me of my only knife from Electric Cutlery Co. The bone is similar, but not an exact match. Maybe related?
LCHDeAg.jpg

Very nice Curtin & Clark Augie! Man- that Bone is so so close to Peach seed isnt it! What a great Knife that is! Boker also used that shield in the time frame that the knife was made, and Boker most certainly had some spectacular Bone! - hey i am not saying Boker made this Knife, but because of the use of that shield in the same time frame period - could it not be added to the list of suspected Manufacturers?
Theres many things that cross my mind, but I am quite simply sick of making a fool of myself when putting out questions for the sake of discussion as it makes me look rather silly :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:.

Jeff- Mate- what a gorgeous Fixed Blade- i still have a soft spot for them- and that would most certainly have caught my eye!- Wow - have you tried contacting Charlie Noyes about this one? As far as Vintage Fixed Blades go- THAT one,would go on my top Shelf - its a truely very nice Knife!

Longblade- That Knife would near have bought tears to my eyes- I think that is outstanding! What a stunning old Knife - the Blades are so so full, the Bone is gorgeous without a doubt- just quite simply a true Classic! I would actually gently clean that crack out and superglue it and clamp it carefully - it works my friend!

Wow- thats a very neat Ol Jack lamertiana, gorgeous Bone, really like the Match-strike Long Pull!

Thanks for the kind comments all :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

Here's the almost matching Empire jigged bone pen with full bolsters (3 1/16" closed) - makes a nice pair imo :) ...

PkQRPcp.jpg

Usk3IXQ.jpg

xVLng45.jpg

v1tI8kB.jpg

Real nice pair Lee, I would say the bone is matching, the first being worn more. I really like the shield on the first one, don't see that shield all the often.

Interesting that the pen and main have different stamps, my CCC barlow has straight lines stamps on both blades but lacking "MO" after kansas city, I believe I posted it several pages back, beautiful bone on yours ! I don't know where this person got their info but its the only reference i found regarding them making knives.

61pdJjI.jpg

Rob, thanks for the info, this is the second reference I have seen stating they were made in that area. If they were made by the Tidiote Cutlery Co that would be the correct time frame.

Sweet Pen from Empire, Lee! An example of their great knives!! The shield on the first of your two Empires seems to have been exclusive to Empire for many years, until Schrade borrowed it giving their version of it credit as an "Empire" shield, after WWII!!
"Bear-y" honorable of Schrade!!:D
Here we have an original above Schrade's version! Schrade detailed it a bit but copied the shape, and called it an Empire shield in their advertising!!Empire Shields 1.jpg Empire Shields 2.jpg

Augie Augie - Thanks :thumbsup: - I thought they would make a nice "ensemble" together ;) LOLOL ...

Sweet Pen from Empire, Lee! An example of their great knives!! The shield on the first of your two Empires seems to have been exclusive to Empire for many years, until Schrade borrowed it giving their version of it credit as an "Empire" shield, after WWII!!
Here we have an original above Schrade's version! Schrade detailed it a bit but copied the shape, and called it an Empire shield in their advertising!!View attachment 1310394 View attachment 1310395

Thanks Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.. I never knew about that connection with Schrade as to the shield - very cool :cool:... but I do know that Empire used more bar shields (with slightly different shapes in some cases) than any company I know :) ...

Here we have an original above Schrade's version! Schrade detailed it a bit but copied the shape, and called it an Empire shield in their advertising!!View attachment 1310394 View attachment 1310395

Great comparison shot, and thanks for the information on Schrade's use of the Empire shield.
As Charlie well knows, having built the finest Empire collection known to exist, that company certainly produced some fantastic models, etches, and shields.
Here is a very unique Empire shield and neat etch from a 1906 catalog.

View attachment 1310599

Great comparison shot, and thanks for the information on Schrade's use of the Empire shield.
As Charlie well knows, having built the finest Empire collection known to exist, that company certainly produced some fantastic models, etches, and shields.
Here is a very unique Empire shield and neat etch from a 1906 catalog.

View attachment 1310599
Ha ha! You snuck a post in there when I wasn't looking, Neal!! Nice illustration!! Now, I have never held an Empire shield like that one in my hands!! Cool!!:cool:

Thanks guys for your nice comments on the two jumbo jacks I posted!

Charlie, those are some outstanding heavy jacks:thumbsup::thumbsup: same goes for your a jumbo and Electric Cutlery Co. jacks Lambertiana!

Augie, just a beautiful CCC jumbo jack :thumbsup::thumbsup: I have a couple of CCC marked folders. FWIW, when I was doing some research a few years back on Curtin & Clark I came across an article or reference to an article (may have been in Knife Magazine can’t remember) that claimed that many stamps were found at Queen Cutlery for Curtin & Clark, Marshall Wells, Crown Cutlery, Griffon, Bridge and others. I just jotted the companies down and found at Queen without noting the source or where I stumbled on ito_O

Lee (LongBlade) those are some outstanding Empires! Got to love those Empire shields.

Herder that 1906 Empire catalog Regulator shield is interesting. Looks very similar to the one NYKC used on their big lock back folding hunters and some others. In fact NYKC made a big jack blade etched REGULATOR with a very similar shield. Which company (and I think there were some others) first used it?

Nice one North Shore I always liked that shield!

Back