1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Old Marble's Ideal fixed blade

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by kwackster, Sep 13, 2018.

1. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Recently i bought an old Marble's Ideal which had lost quite a bit of it's original blade shape due to it probably being used as a digging tool in the past.
    It had no point to speak of nor any edge left, and next to some corrosion and grinding marks' it had quite a bit of those telltale deep scratches running lengthwise in the front half of the blade.
    Since the steel is noticeably harder than my F.Dick basterd file nr.1 i tried something different this time to get the blade back into shape again; a Chinese made 120 grit diamond file from E-Bay costing a whopping 6 dollars including shipping.
    This actually worked quite well and within a reasonable timeframe to restore the basic full convex blade shape the knife originally had, and of course without any chance of overheating the old carbon steel with it's quality heat treat.
    Also recut the swedge with it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Previously i disassembled the stack, numbered each washer, and reassembled it using glue between each washer, then hand sanded to shape:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Refined the blade surface with 240 grit, 400 grit, and finished with 800 grit wet & dry on a rubber backing using WD40 as a lubricant.
    The apex measures just a hair below 30 degrees inclusive and is sticky sharp (can whittle a chest hair from tip to root)
    Next step will be some test whittling into an old piece of cutting board (hard beechwood) to see how the new edge holds up.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ace Rimmer and jux t like this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Good job on it. Someone really knew how to treat a knife before you got it. My Ideal has a 5" blade. That one looks longer. DM

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    The blade length on this knife is now 14.7 cm

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    You sure the mm length is not 147? DM

5. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    My mistake, just corrected it.

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Making your a 5.8" blade. DM

7. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Nice work! I believe the original Marble's were die forged, like Roselli knives are today.