Old Pipe Tomahawk

I recently obtained what I believe is an old tomahawk from a Nevada collection. It has a brass head with steel/iron on the cutting edge of it. It has a small H and a B stamped into the head with what appears to be a symbol, but I can not make it out. I checked with HB Forge and they did not make it. They mentioned it might be Hudson Bay or Hults Bruk of Sweden due to the H B initials stamped into it. We are not sure if either one of them ever made a pipe tomahawk. I would appreciate any help you can provide. The stem could be a second or third replacement. Check out the pictures please. Thank you for any help you can provide. In images of Hudson Bay pipe tomahawks on the internet, I was able to find some tomahawks that were made between 1831 -1862 that looked very similar to this one. I also noticed the H B with a beaver between the H & B that looked much like mine. Thanks for the individuals that have posted remarks thus far.
15hZRGH.jpg
c4zy8pl.jpg

h0S7N2B.jpg

Last edited:
I recently obtained what I believe is an old tomahawk from a Nevada collection. It has a brass head with steel/iron on the cutting edge of it. It has a small A and a B stamped into the head with what appears to be a symbol, but I can not make it out. I checked with HB Forge and they did not make it. They mentioned it might be Hudson Bay or Hults Bruk of Sweden due to the H B initials stamped into it. We are not sure if either one of them ever made a pipe tomahawk. I would appreciate any help you can provide. The stem could be a second or third replacement. Check out the pictures please. Thank you for any help you can provide.
15hZRGH.jpg
c4zy8pl.jpg

h0S7N2B.jpg

This would not be Hults of Sweden because they made practical wood processing tools.

I wouldn't think Hudson bay either, and the stamping appears to have been done with a simple letter stamp set.

Lots of this stuff is / was made in India and pakistan and this is a likely suspect.

No doubt about it; it's one heck of a conversation piece! Hudson Bay Company artifact historians have always emphasized that authentic trade goods were never stamped with the H B logo or initials.
Researching the provenance of this item is going to be very interesting for you.

Back