Old Pivot ‘Zaan - Spa Treatment?

I was curious if anyone knew if an old-pivot Umnumzaan can be spa-treated.

I’m not worried about ruining resale value; I just don’t use it because it is pristine, but I’m not getting any younger.

All I’d be doing at this point is leaving it be sold for pennies on the dollar if I kick the bucket. I might as well use the dang thing if I can get it looking pristine again whenever I want to.

Please let me know, if you do. Thanks!

That's a funny situation your in my friend. I too am there. Have a OP Zaan as well without a mark. I want to carry it so badly but just wont. And I feel like you as well, If I don't carry it and never get any satisfaction from it what's the point? I have three or four like this. I just gotta put them in my pocket! Good luck with your decision. :)

Why don't you just sell it, buy a regular Zaan, pocket the rest? That's what I would do but then again I don't buy things I'm afraid to use.

Carry it and just enjoy it.... It will probably appreciate either way!

My old pivot Umnumzaan is all beat up. I've used it for 10 years and have never once thought about sending it in for a spa treatment. First of all, they probably aren't going to fix the small chunks taken out of the titanium scales and the pivot, and second, why would I send it to get fixed up if I'm just going to bang it up again? I'd say either use it or sell it.

That's a funny situation your in my friend. I too am there. Have a OP Zaan as well without a mark. I want to carry it so badly but just wont. And I feel like you as well, If I don't carry it and never get any satisfaction from it what's the point? I have three or four like this. I just gotta put them in my pocket! Good luck with your decision. :)

Use the tar out of it.. and then sell it to me at whatever you think is fair. Tell me a back story, and I'll carry it in your memory and then pass it on to the next person in the same fashion. Enjoy that thing!

My old pivot Umnumzaan is all beat up. I've used it for 10 years and have never once thought about sending it in for a spa treatment. First of all, they probably aren't going to fix the small chunks taken out of the titanium scales and the pivot, and second, why would I send it to get fixed up if I'm just going to bang it up again? I'd say either use it or sell it.

post pics! I'd love to see what a well loved Umnumzaan looks like.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I am glad to see that for some, I am not alone in this mental struggle. Not that it’s really a struggle, probably too harsh a word. It’s a friggin’ knife, after all. :)

I am fortunate to own eight CRK knives and carry five of them without issue and use freely, except for the Zaan, a CF Inkosi Insingo, and a Micarta 25 that are also all pristine and look like they could go right back in the box and be sold as LNIB.

It is kinda nice to have three different models that look like they just arrived from CRK an hour ago and are brand-spanking new.

I have CRK leather slips for each and have started carrying them now in those as a “transition” but see me slipping into normal carry with them but dang, it’s also kinda cool to have them looking so fine, too!

If I had only one CRK, it would definitely get carried. I am very lucky to have so many, each are a different variation of different models - both leftys and righties - and I like them all equally. I’m left handed but carry both types of knives freely.

I guess I’ll just continue to use one in my pocket at will, and admire another of the pristine ones as I drive down the road getting from home to the far-away town I’m headed to that day, which is every day. I sell business data services but live on a farm, so I get to live in worlds at polar extremes every day but need a knife 100% of the time, either as a probably-never-needed but good-to-have-just-in-case defensive weapon/package opening tool during the day, and a simple “cut something if it needs to be cut” item the rest of the day until dark or afterward, with lights.

We are lucky to be able to be on a forum discussing CRK knives, as we can either afford them easily, or saved up forever to get one. Depending on the size of my monthly commission checks, I’ve been in both camps.

But no matter how I got each of them, I feel fortunate to have them as they are fine pieces of American manufacturing that seem to be getting harder and harder to find nowadays as a whole, in general.

So my hat is off to CRK and I even really like my new 31, it’s a freakin’ BEAUTY! and not an ounce of lock rock that I could determine with a one-second push down on the blade with my thumb. So if you want one of those, go for it, damn the torpedoes and lock rock, full speed ahead!

Yeah I was in the exact same boat, felt the exact same way, freakin' love and appreciate the hell out of like OP Umnumzaan and always a joy to carry and fondle the thing. Racking my brain in the same way - should I use and ruin the perfect look (because they are true works of art and function) or relegate it to only letter opening duty occasionally. Finally gave in to a compromise and that is going to get a new Tanto blade for it and use the hell out of it while keeping the original blade intact. This way you have the best of both worlds as if you don't abuse the knife then a quick handle re-touch up in the future is nothing for the fine folks at CRK. Sounds like you arrived at something similar and can only say you will receive even more joy using it and building those memories than not IMHO.

Back