old question?

cm

I am a new member of the Sebenza community,
and here's an "old" travel question: are we sure that it's ok to travel around with a small Sebenza? I mean through airport security. I am not sure I understand this locking blades law, if there is any.
How about international airports? I dont want the knife to be taken !

Carlo

I know that there is a wealth of info in the General Discussion Forum, I believe Knife Laws, but I have had no problems with my small benza in the States. I have had problems in my international travels...especially Japan and China. From now on when I have to go to the Far East, I make sure that I pack my benza in a hand carry or luggage or don't take it at all. The neat thing about the benza was that I took it apart and packed it (no I didn't hide it) in my luggage, and customs didn't seem to mind (or find it). From now on though, it's better to be safe than sorry. I usually carry a small SAK for business...it's less of a hassle with Customs. I believe that even knives with a blade length of 3" or under is a big no-no in Japan...they would rather have you declare it, which usually means confiscation.

A search is a good option. One thing I remember from my first visits here was a suggestion that you carry a bubble-pack with postage addressed to your house. Then if it's not allowed you can mail it back to yourself from the airport. Made sense to me, and I've carried one on a few business trips.

Brandon

Brandon, good reminder! I have to put some more postage on the priority mail envelope that I have taken on my last few trips. Haven’t had to use one yet, but like the Boy Scouts say…

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

There does seem to be some difference between the law and the interpretation of the law. About 18 months ago, we were in New York - on our way back from South Africa and more than a little travel weary! Chris was carrying a small wood inlay and just about came to blows with the security lady. It ended up with him handing it to the care of the pilot and all was well. Theoretically though, the small is quite legal for domestic travel and Chris carries one in his pocket wherever he goes. He shows with all the other "pocket stuff" as he goes through the metal detector.

My advice for all air travelers, however, is to pack your knives into your checked baggage. It removes the potential for problems, especially for international travel - security elsewhere in the world is much tighter than it is here.

In contrast to that advice, however, I flew to Seattle two years ago. It was only when I was on the aircraft and fastening my seatbelt that I realized my Umfaan was in my pocket. I had walked clear through the metal detector and had completely forgotten I even had the knife on me!

Anne

[This message has been edited by Chris Reeve Knives (edited 04-21-2001).]

Back