Old school is cool

Went on a mission recently to pick up one of my favourites from back in the day. Found a more recent example and then managed with some luck to land this gem.

Peacekeeper II in Carbon V... what a knife.

Now if they brought this back with a slightly longer handle and in 3V I would be in heaven! This one is pretty good though... :D

019_zpsjb3tfldl.jpg

Thanks Mike. I was actually curious as to whether you were involved in the making of the sheaths for these, as they look like custom jobs from actual kydex? Or was it before your time?

I've been doing Concealex/kydex sheaths for over 25 years, so I outdate the knife, but that is not one of my sheaths, though it does look like a custom sheath. Again, great score!!!

Thanks for the info Mike, it is a custom for sure... exceptionally well made so naturally I figured it for one of yours. :)

Excellent find indeed, Buffalohump! That sheath looks to be of almost identical manufacture to the one supplied with my Kobun that I bought new in 1999, which would be approximately the same time frame that your Carbon V Peace Keeper II was in the catalog. So I think it's original, but I don't know who made it. I understand that Blade-Tech did early kydex work for CS (e.g., sheath for original Vaquero Grande). I don't know how long that relationship lasted, however. For all I know, Blade-Tech may still be manufacturing for them.

Thanks for posting the picture of that oldie-but-goody! Congratulations!

-Steve

Thanks, I think Blade-Tech is a good possibility, they would have had the necessary resources to undertake a large scale project like that. This is the original factory sheath BTW, not an aftermarket one. If you look back in the original catalogues, kydex was used quite a bit in the early days.

If you look back in the original catalogues, kydex was used quite a bit in the early days.

Oh yes, I recall well. In fact, I remember Cold Steel and Jeff Loffer at Cutlery Shoppe pioneering the way with some of the earliest uses of kydex for sheaths on production knives. I know for a fact that Jeff's custom kydex was done by Blade-Tech. But that was the mid-to-late '80s, when no one outside of Blade-Tech and a few custom knife makers like Bob Terzuola and Bud Nealy was using kydex. By the late 1990s, more manufacturer options were available. But, like you, I still suspect that sheath is Blade-Tech.

-Steve

Back