OLd Timer 51OT BIG TIMER LB "BULLDOG"

G'day, I've brought up this thread again to show that the micarta handle 51OT pattern Big Timer were Schrade+ =Stainless Steel whilst the Old Timers appeared to be 1095 High Carbon steel...

Those Micarta handled big timers are really handsome. I'd sure like one in smooth red bone too. :)

New knife guy here. I have had several Old Timers over the years and still have my trusty 5OT that I use every day. I came across this thread while researching the 51OT. I ended up purchasing a 51OT tonight brand new with box and sheath. I thought the discussion for the SC504 was very interesting, so I thought I would passively look on ebay for one. LOW AND BEHOLD, FOUND ONE, also tonight. I am now the proud owner of my very own SC504 as well. I guess you guys can mark off one more of the 98.

Shawn

Re-birthed to stimulate further Forum discussion.....lets see even more photos of your collections!....Hoo Roo

have been lucky enough to obtain some of Herman Williams art, here is the 51 OT i have from him.

Attachments

• H W 51 OT 01.jpg
    H W 51 OT 01.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 20
  • H W 51 OT 03.jpg
    H W 51 OT 03.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 15
Here's another "two-bucks" micarta accounted for. It surfaced on flea-bay and I grabbed it without hesitation.
Big Timer! Could a knife have a better name?

vBI5GTS.jpg

hY98Eru.jpg

I love the pattern and love the micarta handles. However, I don't think the "only 100 were made" theory flies. I have seen too many of them to believe it. I wonder if the workmen at the "end of days" job hot-stamped a few bushels of these leftover micarta handles (they originated with the American Express series). No matter; we will likely never know, but they are great knives.

I here you on the 98 number but ya never know. The glass may be half-full. I bought the knife because I too love everything Schrade did with the yellow linen micarta. I love the layers like wood grain and it ages nicely. It seems super stable decades later. Amex presidents are an awesome series and for me that's not lessened by their relatively larger production numbers. The 51OT is a very memorable big folder, great pattern. For the record I dropped $65USD on my SC504 and I think that's quite a fair price for a knife of its size and quality. There were no bidding wars involved ;) I don't do bidding wars.

G'day Bladecollector, you cant go wrong with that magnificent Schrade 'Big Timer'.
Cal, any build numbers I quoted on the various Schrade blade lines were always quoted to me by Larry Vickery, lRV, who of course had access to original Schrade factory paperwork....
Are you saying you have personally seen more than 98 examples of this Big Timer variation? I certainly havn't....as with most Schrade Limited Edition bladeware they tended to remain in the hands of collectors as unused examples, rather than being used by Hunters/Fisherman etc...my point being Limited Edition bladeware can appear to be quite common when traded among collectors because they don't disappear through actual usage/loss/destruction.....IMO...Hoo Roo

Larry, you very well could be accurate. I have been aware of, in one way or another, maybe 20 (?) of them. That seemed very high to me considering a total of 98. Some runs of 1000 knives have yielded to my sight, in one way or another, over eleven years, perhaps no more than that. So... just speculation on my part; Larry V's comments can probably be taken to the bank. BTW, that stamp of the two bucks was originally made for a scrimshaw folding hunter (the one blade linerlock version) in the Great Outdoors series; I don't remember which year.

Back