Old vs New Casexx Folders

A buffed older knife still makes a fine user though right? That would only make a difference to a true collector.

I should clarify. It doesn't necessarily affect the function. It makes things a bit more complicated since you can not judge the knife completely on the manufacturer.

The skill of the buffer is a factor. Did he do a good job? Did he ruin the heat treat? Did he apply too much lateral pressure? Was it necessary to thin out the blades a lot to get past any pitting? Etc.

If the knife was used previously that is also a factor. Did the prior owner use the blades as pry tools? How is the walk and talk? Etc.

But it is correct that a buffed knife can be a good user. A parts knife and a fake can be a good user also. But you just can't assume that they are representative of a factory fresh knife from Case.

Last edited:
Thank you John for the clarification. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the quality and f&f of the Case/Bose collaborations.

The way the Bose knives are made is very different. Look at the grinds on this blade. I've never seen another factory made traditional knife with grinds this gorgeous. I don't know the details but the parts are cut by wire edm. And it appears to produce beautiful results. But for some reason this seems to be often overlooked. Also, they are some of the few traditional knives that have pivot bushings and mill relieved liners. And, of course, it's a Bose pattern!

The knives are put together by hand. Although I don't think problems are representive, they can occur. When folks have made complaints, they seem to be about minor finishing steps that were done by hand.

Also, some of the criteria that collectors like to use for fit and finish are sort of artifacts of the way some knives are made. Comparing knives that are made differently can be tricky. For example, if grinding the backs of the knives is a finishing step for the covers, the springs are typically completely flush. As an example, the knives from Victorinox are made completely different and the springs are not completely seemless with the liners. Victorinox finishes the covers and springs separately.

One of my favorite production knives of all time is the Case Bose Norfolk. I use that knife and the Muskrat a good amount. I don't typically like the muskrat pattern but the collaboration knife is an exception. Wonderful knife.

case-bose-norfolk_zpsybdko85r.jpg

Last edited:
The way the Bose knives are made is very different. Look at the grinds on this blade. I've never seen another factory made traditional knife with grinds this gorgeous. I don't know the details but the parts are cut by wire edm. And it appears to produce beautiful results. But for some reason this seems to be often overlooked. Also, they are some of the few traditional knives that have pivot bushings and mill relieved liners.

The knives are put together by hand. Although I don't think problems are representive, they can occur. When folks have made complaints, they seem to be about minor finishing steps that were done by hand.

Also, some of the criteria that collectors like to use for fit and finish are sort of artifacts of the way some knives are made. Comparing knives that are made differently can be tricky. For example, if grinding the backs of the knives is a finishing step for the covers, the springs are typically completely flush. As an example, the knives from Victorinox are made completely different and the springs are not completely seemless with the liners. Victorinox finishes the covers and springs separately.

One of my favorite production knives of all time is the Case Bose Norfolk. I use that knife and the Muskrat a good amount. I don't typically like the muskrat pattern but the collaboration knife is an exception.

case-bose-norfolk_zpsybdko85r.jpg
Thank you for such detail. It is very informative and they most surely are exceptional then. Love the blades on that knife.

I recently purchased a new sodbuster that came with the blade so off center it rubbed the liner, and then I picked up an older one from the exchange on this forum that was perfect. However, given my sample size I would not take my feedback to heart. From what I hear from the sage gentlemen on hear, and other people I know Case is an excellent brand.

I recently purchased a new sodbuster that came with the blade so off center it rubbed the liner, and then I picked up an older one from the exchange on this forum that was perfect. However, given my sample size I would not take my feedback to heart. From what I hear from the sage gentlemen on hear, and other people I know Case is an excellent brand.

I bought a new Case xx mini chestnut trapper with chrome vanadium blades the day I started this thread. The blades are somewhat off centered, and there is a noticeable gap between the liners and spring. Everything else about the knife seems to be ok though.

Back