Olive Oil for Carbon Steel

Can one use olive oil for high carbon blades that need to be oiled after use? How does it compare to Rem oil or 3:1 oil? Getting more into blade maintenance and sharpening than purchasing lately...

I sometimes wipe a little olive oil on a carbon kitchen knife, because it's right there. Food safe, of course, and will get used often.

If you're talking about general maintenance, I'd recommend something like mineral oil. It won't go rancid like vegetable oils, and is also food safe.

For long term storage, Renaissance Wax was developed for museum display and storage (or so their marketing says) it's good stuff in my experience.

I sometimes wipe a little olive oil on a carbon kitchen knife, because it's right there. Food safe, of course, and will get used often.

If you're talking about general maintenance, I'd recommend something like mineral oil. It won't go rancid like vegetable oils, and is also food safe.

For long term storage, Renaissance Wax was developed for museum display and storage (or so their marketing says) it's good stuff in my experience.
This ^^^

P Pandama : Mineral oil can be unkind to leather, so depending on your sheath, you’d want to be judicious with the application. Just this evening I was using Renn wax to treat two carbon steel outdoor knives, both with leather sheaths. It’s great on the leather, too!

Just about any oil is ok for a quick fix. But for longer term, an oil that does not go rancid and is food safe is the best.
Both Mineral Oil and Camelia Oil meet that requirement.

I did not consider the olive oil going rancid... will definitely look into the Renn Wax, thanks for the recommendation.

Well said

Came here to say this. R8shell knows what she’s talking about.

Food oils not only go rancid over time (really oxygen, heat, and UV) but they get sticky.
And when it get's sticky it's hard to clean off.

Pandama,
As others have said it will work in a pinch, but not ideal. If the knife is involved with anything food wise, definitely avoid Rem oil or the 3:1.

Enjoy the rabbit hole!

I have mineral oil in my utility room and a variety of oils in my kitchen. What do I use for my carbon steel kitchen knives? The closest oil to hand in my kitchen obviously. Saying that these get used and cleaned on a daily basis, I may walk those extra 20 feet if I was expecting it to stay on there for any sustained period of time.

Tsubaki/Camellia oil is my favorite of all the protectants I've tried. Nice consistency, edible, and doesn't impart any flavor.

I do have some Seal1 CLP in my cart at CollectorKnives that I want to try out though. Maybe @knifeswapper can chime in with his experiences with CLP?

I use wax for both short and long term. It's neither messy like oil can be, nor does it wipe off onto everything it touches. It won't be removed by the sheath like oil can be, and if wax gets on the inside of your sheath it won't cause any problems like oils do.

I use wax for both short and long term. It's neither messy like oil can be, nor does it wipe off onto everything it touches. It won't be removed by the sheath like oil can be, and if wax gets on the inside of your sheath it won't cause any problems like oils do.
Purchased Ren Wax that was recommended... glad I did.

Back