Olsen hatchet head?

I brought home a very small hatchet head today (3 3/4" long). It is stamped "OLSEN". It has about 80% of it's original blue paint still intact. Is anyone familiar with this? Was it made by or for the Olsen Knife Company of Howard City Michigan? I have spent several hours today searching for information on the internet and have come up empty. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Al

I tried to put on a picture with the original post but couldn't figure out how. After a little more checking, I found that you must have a slightly higher status than "member" in order to post a picture. A paid membership is required. Please let me know if I am not understanding something. Thanks, Al

I tried to put on a picture with the original post but couldn't figure out how. After a little more checking, I found that you must have a slightly higher status than "member" in order to post a picture. A paid membership is required. Please let me know if I am not understanding something. Thanks, Al

Just upload the picture to an image hosting site like photobucket or flikr. Once thats done copy the image url and paste it between
]. Without spaces.

Just upload the picture to an image hosting site like photobucket or flikr. Once thats done copy the image url and paste it between [IMG/]. Without spaces.[/QUOTE]

What the A-hole said. :D One of the funniest sig lines I've seen.

Olsen made some of their stuff in Howard City, contracted some to Germany and I think to other US firms.
"Fatty, Fatty, run for your life- here comes Skinny with an Olsen Knife." There must have been some background to make that slogan socially acceptable.
They burned down in the late 1970s, I believe.

This might provide some clues. Supposedly a "knife and axe set" from Olsen Knife Co., with the hatchet marked Western Germany. So, even if this particular hatchet doesn't match the OP's hatchet head, it appears that the Olsen Knife Co. had hatchets made in W. Germany (along with some of their knives), and I'm guessing this was done only for knife/hatchet combos (instead of the Olsen Knife Co. branching out with a line of hatchets).

DSCN0146_small.JPG

This might provide some clues. Supposedly a "knife and axe set" from Olsen Knife Co., with the hatchet marked Western Germany. So, even if this particular hatchet doesn't match the OP's hatchet head, it appears that the Olsen Knife Co. had hatchets made in W. Germany (along with some of their knives), and I'm guessing this was done only for knife/hatchet combos (instead of the Olsen Knife Co. branching out with a line of hatchets).

DSCN0146_small.JPG

That's a very German-looking knife, too- is it stamped for country of origin?

I have one. Exact dimensions of the Vaughan and Craftsman models. I suspect that all were made by Vaughan but do not know for certain.

That is interesting. I'll bet they were all made by the same company at about the same time. They would have to be about the smallest hatchets made that would function as a real hatchet. I wonder about how old they are. I'd like to see a picture of a hatchet head this size with its handle intact. Al

Thanks for all the responses. I learned a lot. I would still like to see a picture of a mini hatchet that is marked OLSEN with its original handle. I don't want to spent hours carving out a handle then find out that it isn't shaped right for the hatchet head. Thanks again for the help, Al

Back