1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Omega watch service center

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Charlie Mike, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, the Coaxial requirements are not something for just a "competent watchmaker". The misapplication of lubricant (to much or too little) alone can lead to premature stoppage. Al from Archer watches (he posts on both WatchUSeek and the OmegaForums websites) can give detailed reasons for the need of specialized training and equipment for these escapements.

2. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    There are independent COMPETENT watchmakers who can and do service coaxial movements. Many have the tools, knowledge, and abilities. Again, he'll either refuse the work or won't.

The whole benefit of the coax designs when first on the market was greatly extended service intervals/limited service required. That didn't pan out.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    That wouldn't be a competent watchmaker...that would be an HONEST watchmaker.

4. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    The are independent competent watchmakers who are honest and who have serviced coax movements.

5. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    True. As I mentioned earlier, Al at Archer watches is independent but he is also Omega certified.
    To be honest with their customers, the watchmaker must first be honest with themselves as to what they can do well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Luis G.

Luis G. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Certified Omega watchmaker's who work with Coaxials will not charge you $200 for a service.
    They will likely charge close to what Omega charges.

Most of the watch servicing for simple ETA automatic movements run $150 minimum in my area and can go up to $200-$300.

7. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    An ETA automatic (or any non-complication automatic) runs me $65 for servicing. My watchmaker charges the same from the stores he does services for --- $65. Those stores charge their customers $130 or more while paying my watchmaker $65 for the watch service actually conducted. It's not an uncommon practice. Go straight to the source.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  8. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    I'd rather pay more to have OEM warranty.

9. Grouch

Grouch

Oct 28, 2005
    Also, over the past year or two, Omega has made it nearly impossible to source replacement parts for their newer watches unless you have a parts account with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    +1

The same goes for camera's whether for service or 'grey market' imports.

11. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    That was the deal with the coaxials, so ppl now had to factor service in wanting a new Omega or sourcing a vintage one.

12. Luis G.

Luis G. Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I know there is a markup. Unfortunately I cannot locate a watchmaker in the area.
    Does anyone know anyone in Dallas, TX?

13. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    I just paid 1200 for a new crystal (shattered) and refurb for a Breitling Navitimer from the factory

14. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
  15. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Done! Should have it on Wednesday.

16. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    [video=youtube;5o0rVv13cL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0rVv13cL4[/video]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  17. Charlie Mike

Nov 1, 2000
    Turns out it was running +5.2 seconds per day. Took it to my local watchmaker/jeweler and got it regulated much closer to COSC.

[​IMG]