On pocket knives and minimalisim.

It's always been interesting to me the different approaches to carrying a pocket knife that people have. We've all known the old Uncle or someone who had just one pocket knife, and was happy with that. Then there were the ones who at any time had at least two, maybe even three pocket knives on them. My dad was the kind who had a Case peanut, and that was his knife, period. Then there was Mr. Van, who had two or three on him. In a weird way, as different as they were, they liked each other.

Mr. Van was what you could call a perfectionist. At scout meetings sometimes he would call out for a surprise inpection of our scout knives. Mr. Van was the perfect example of how you could take the man out of the Marines, but you could never get the Marines out of the man. He would call for a present arms, and all the scouts would line up with open scout knives to be examined. It was quite an asortment, PAL's, Ulsters, Camillus, Imperial, and even an occasional Kamp King if someone had been a bit short of funds.

Mr. Van was quite the fanatic about our pocket knives because he told us that it was the one tool we could always have with us, aside from our official scout waterproof match case. His feeling was that we may not have our official scout hatchet, or our official scout sheath knife with the stacked leather handle for good grip. But a pocket knife was always there.

Mr. Van slowly worked his way down the line. He would thoughtfully test the edge with a thumb, inspect the joint to see if it was well oiled with no debris in the slots. Pity the scout who had a dirty or dull knife. Like Bobby Ryerson.

It's strange how in every company, army platoon, classroom, there's always one poor guy who just can't get it right. Our scout troop had Bobby Ryerson. Mr. Van would get to him and look at the pine sap smeared on the dull blade, and then the stare would happen. Mr. Van had those eyes that you could never quite make up your mind if they were blue or grey. But when he was angry there was no doubt. Twin pale blue lasers would bore into your soul and boil your heart. He never said anything while staring, he did'nt have to.

It came to pass that Mr. Van would hold knife sharpening sessions there in the church basement meeting room. It was there we watched a master of minimalisim.

We would all be sitting in a circle and Mr. Van took a small broken off piece of sharpening stone out of his top right shirt pocket. it was a very small piece, and at first we wondered what he was going to sharpen his pocket knife with. Then he explained to us that the smaller the piece of equiptment, the more likely it would be with us. We all looked down at our official scout pocket sharpening stones in our hands, the one with the nice little leather case, about an inch and three quater wide by about three inches long, and felt a bit foolish for having a stone so big. That weekend alot of stones were going to get broken.

Then Mr. Van showed us how to use such a small stone, starting at the heel of the blade right at the kick, and honing in small circles moving up to the tip of the blade. Then we would turn the blade over and repeat the prosses. While we were doing this, he would go around the circle stopping in back of each scout to make sure they were holding at the right angle, not moving up the blade too fast, or too slow. If some corection was needed, Mr. Van would put his hands over the scouts hands and guide him to the right movements. Even Bobby Ryerson learned to sharpen a knife with Mr. Van's help.

Learning knife techniques from Mr. Van meant leaving hatchets and sometimes sheath knives behind. He would have us lay out our gear on a pancho and tell us what to jetison from our load. Mess kits were trimmed down to just a pot and canteen and spoon. Knives and forks were tossed from those neat knife-fork-spoon kits sold at the official scout place. Mr. Van told us that we had a pocket knife, so all else we needed was a spoon. Our gear got alot lighter under his guidance, and on hikes we started covering ground like nobodys buisness. Even toothbrush handles were cut off shorter, and tea bags had the paper tag cut off. Trim enough onces and you have pounds he told us. At Jambories we left other troops behind.

At campcrafts we learned to use those pocket knives for all our work. Tri-pods for hanging pots over the campfire were made by the notching method Mr.Van tought us. Making a V-groove all around the point we wanted to cut off something, it would then break easily over a knee. Mr. Van said if you make the stress line right, you can break any wood right were you want. He was the perfect teacher, patient when needed, strict if needed, but father confessor if needed. At night on campouts he would coach us on how to make napkin rings with fancy carving, or indian faces on neckkerchef rings. He was our teacher of many things.

But of all the things, Mr. Van was a born marksmen, and he had a talent for teaching it. There was this farm we called Gun farm, as the owners who let the scouts camp on his wooded land, had taken a back hoe and made a .22 rifle range for the scouts. it was a high point of the year when we had a campout at Gun Farm. All the scouts who had a .22 rifle (which was most) would bring it, and we would have a shoot.

It was at one of these shoots we saw just how good Mr. Van really was.

It was on occasion where do to some mis-understanding, another scout troop was schedualed to camp at Gun Farm at the same time as us. Mr. Van told us we'd make the best of it, and all get along. We'd have some friendly competiton. Looking back now at life, I wonder how many wars have been started by friendly competition?

At the shooting range we had some contests going and all was okay. Then the other scout master started to ride Mr. Van a bit. Things like "I hear you'r supposed to be a hot shot" or " You're good at coaching boys, how do you do shooting against another man". Mr. Van started to get a dangerous look in his eye.

He did'nt say anything, but walked over to our assistant scout master and said "Give me a ciggerette."

Now this in itself was a yellow alert because Mr.Van did not smoke ciggerettes. He had an old Kaywoodie pipe he would stuff some grainger burley into and puff on, but he never smoked a ciggerette.

He took the unlit cig and stuck it behind his ear and then whittled a matchstick to a point on both ends. Walking downrange to the 25 yard target butt, he then wedged the matchstick into the top of the wood 2X4 target frame sticking strait up. He then lit the ciggerette and stuck it onto the matchstick so the lit end was sticking up into the air, smoking in the still summer air.

Then Mr. Van took out his own rifle.

We'd seen this rifle on many trips to Gun Farm, and were in awe of it. It was unlike anything we'd seen. We had bolt action Winchesters and Mossbergs. This was a small action Martini from Birmingham Small Arms, with a deep blued bull barrel and color case hardened receiver with streaks of purple and grey interplaying. The stock was a fine checkered English walnut. The target sights were a fine ivory bead front sight, and a fine adjustment peep rear. Mr. Van could make it talk.

Without a word Mr. Van loaded the Martini, and took aim. Downrange the cigerette gave off a fine thread of smoke, and we waited. Mr. Van took his time, and when the crack of the .22 sounded we all jumped a bit from the tension and suspense. The glowing end of the smoke on the matchstick disinstigrated, leaving the rest of the 3/4 of the ciggerete intact. Mr Van opened the action of the Martini and laid it on the shooting bench, and walked downrange with that straitbacked Marine walk. Taking the ciggerette he walked back to the firing line and held it out with a match to the other scout master.

"Your turn." was all he said.

The other scout master started to speak, shut his mouth, then said "Oh, forget it!" and marched off in humiliation from the cheers of Mr. Vans faithfull ringing in his ears.

That day on the range at a place called Gun Farm, Mr. Van became a living god to troop 469.

I agree with Muskrat Man, another great story JackKnife! Now I can see why Mr. Van would've become a god to your troop! :D

Hahaha.

Great story.

I can't imagine challenging someone without having the goods to even attempt to back it up. The shame of the other SM.

JackKnife,

I have really been remise in not posting a reply to any of your stories up to this point. I sincerely apologize for that laziness. But the fact is I look at the forum several time a day and the first thing I do is to see if your have posted. When you do I'm like a kid at Christmas frantically opening the thread with childlike anticipation that something great is going to be inside. I'm never disappointed!! Being very new to the forum I found myself doing a "JackKnife search to pull up all of your past posts and read them. Like many others on this forum I would really like to thank you for the pleasure of reading the posts. I grew up in the fifties in a small cotton mill village in Huntsville, Alabama and many of your stories bring back beautiful and fond memories of those kinder, gentler years.

Thanks again,
Randy

We could sure use some Mr. Vans now. Just goes to show, the guys that have been there, done it and can still do it, just don't talk about it. I imagine your Dad and Mr. Van had a solid respect for each other.

As always, thanks for sharing.

Well, these characters are around still and allover.We who read and post on bladeforums respect our knives great&small!

Thanks Jackknife.

I received two books I ordered in yesterday's mail. One was the official Boy Scout handbook and the other was the Scoutmaster's handbook (both vintage from my scout experience c1983). I re-read the handbook last night and took a quick look at the Scoutmasters handbook. Good info in both.

My wife and I just started trying to have children. If we have any boys, when the boys are old enough, I'm going to make sure they have access to a real scouting experience. If they don't have the boy scouts where we live, I will start a troop.

Thanks again for shareing your stories. I like reading them.

Best Regards,
Kevin

JackKnife,

I have really been remise in not posting a reply to any of your stories up to this point. I sincerely apologize for that laziness. But the fact is I look at the forum several time a day and the first thing I do is to see if your have posted. When you do I'm like a kid at Christmas frantically opening the thread with childlike anticipation that something great is going to be inside. I'm never disappointed!! Being very new to the forum I found myself doing a "JackKnife search to pull up all of your past posts and read them. Like many others on this forum I would really like to thank you for the pleasure of reading the posts. I grew up in the fifties in a small cotton mill village in Huntsville, Alabama and many of your stories bring back beautiful and fond memories of those kinder, gentler years.

Thanks again,
Randy

Please, please don't apologize. I'm just glad that the ramblings of an old crock can bring some pleasure to someone. I think many of the memories of those kinder gentler years are pretty much the same for alot of folks. The kind of hard working people who make up a comercial fishing village on the Chesapeake or a cotton town in Alabama, or a coal mining town in Kentucky, are much the same kind of people with very similar views and experiances. I don't think the basic values of the human experiance changes much from local to local.

Thank you for you're appretiation.

We could sure use some Mr. Vans now. Just goes to show, the guys that have been there, done it and can still do it, just don't talk about it. I imagine your Dad and Mr. Van had a solid respect for each other.

As always, thanks for sharing.

Yes, especially after Dad shot Mr. Van to a tie with his old Colt Woodsman. But thats another story.

Jackknife,

I too am one of those who check the forums hoping for another great story from you!

I wish I had had the opportunity to join the scouts when I was a kid, though I am inspired a great deal by my uncle (who I don't see often enough). But, just your stories about Mr. Van are very inspiring and educational!

Hell, for my first "real knife" purchase, rather than buying just a beautiful traditional slipjoint or some impractical so-called tactical, I bought a Swiss Army knife in the vain that "I will always have a pocket knife." I know that sounds silly, but your posts are incredibly inspiring to this 19-year old college kid.

Yes, especially after Dad shot Mr. Van to a tie with his old Colt Woodsman. But thats another story.

Well, looks like we've got another great story to be looking forward too! Get to writing JK! :D (just kidding, but I for one will be looking forward to whatever story you decide to write next)

Thanks again Jackknife. Another wonderful story.

Man oh man, Mr. Van sounds like a true master of the Scout pocketknife. I mean, in music, they are called virtuosos, people who can do anything with an instrument. Mozart was a virtuoso, a man who could seemingly make magic come out of his fingers while playing the piano. It sounds like Mr. Van was a pocketknife virtuoso. Could you post a thread where you tell us all the things Mr. Van did with his knife? Did he specialize in the scout knife, or was he equally adept with other types of Pocketknives? We could probably all learn a thing or two from a master minimalist like him, specially in this day and age of excess. People like him are a once in a lifetime find, as are you. I TOO have come on here looking specifically for a Jackkife post, and I TOO have done a search on your old posts. Write your book already, will ya!?!?!?! LOL. I'd be more then happy to add it to my book collection.

Man oh man, Mr. Van sounds like a true master of the Scout pocketknife. I mean, in music, they are called virtuosos, people who can do anything with an instrument. Mozart was a virtuoso, a man who could seemingly make magic come out of his fingers while playing the piano. It sounds like Mr. Van was a pocketknife virtuoso. Could you post a thread where you tell us all the things Mr. Van did with his knife? Did he specialize in the scout knife, or was he equally adept with other types of Pocketknives? We could probably all learn a thing or two from a master minimalist like him, specially in this day and age of excess. People like him are a once in a lifetime find, as are you. I TOO have come on here looking specifically for a Jackkife post, and I TOO have done a search on your old posts. Write your book already, will ya!?!?!?! LOL. I'd be more then happy to add it to my book collection.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Friday at work.
Somehow, Fridays are always the longest days of the week, most likely because of the weekend coming up, and the expectations thereof are playing tricks with my time sense. Every second seems to take twice as long as it normally does.

And then I see your story, jackknife.
Sit down with a cup of coffee, open up the thread and start reading.
And time just flies...!!! Sitting there, getting sucked into the story so bad I believe I can feel Mr.Vans breath on my neck for him coming to check my knife sharpening skills, feeling the way you boys did when it all happened, time just races away.
I feel quite inspired for the coming weekend. I know what I have to do now - get my kit in order and see to it that I bring nothing unneccessary to weigh me down. And through this time-warp happening when reading, the weekend is suddenly not that far away. Joy!!
But there's also a bit sadness when I've finished reading the story. I just want to hear more! I want to get sucked into another story, and experience the good and the bad things that happens in it.

Thanks for another great story jackknife!
And for passing on the good morals and high standards of Mr.Van, of yourself, and of times past.
The world surely needs that, now more than ever.

/ Karl

A good day. Early finish at work, cold beer at hand and two Jacknife pieces
to enjoy. Thank you, Sir, for your good work. :)

Back