On retainer?

Charlie Mike

Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob)
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anybody have a favorite knifemaker where you have multiple ongoing projects? Would you say that you have a maker on retainer, like a lawyer? I know one maker who can make my every dream possible, given funds and an appropriate wait time. How many other have makers that work the same way?

As a maker, I've had two collector clients who wanted me to make knives for them on a scheduled timeline. One wanted a knife every month "until he said stop." These were big spenders but I declined. I explained that I had an obligation to other buyers plus I had to occasionally produce knives for shows, charities, etc.

They understood and we have a good relationship. And, when my wife's water pump goes out, it can often be covered with a quick phone call resulting in an instant knife sale. :D These fellows still get plenty of blades from me every year making it a win-win for everyone.

Cheers,

TV

Terry L. Vandeventer
ABS MS

My problem is that every time I look at the blades for sale, or in the galleries, I fall in love all over again!

My problem is that every time I look at the blades for sale, or in the galleries, I fall in love all over again!

I try to stay out of the galleries and exchange unless I'm selling or trading ;)

There are makers with whom I have multiple orders, or with whom I generally place a new order once the existing order is filled.

I don't see it as being analagous to having a lawyer on retainer, though.

Roger

I think it would be interesting to see a revival of the "patronage" model of old.

+1

I currently have 8 projects with one maker. Besides an impulse buy MT OTF this month, I have cut back in knife buying. I have approx 11 projects going on with several makers and it's really nice when you get that phone call saying something is finished. :D

I agree very much with both Roger and Aaron.

There are no doubt some strong business and/or maker/collector relationships in the custom knife community. I believe many of these are built as much on friendships as the knives. Relationships are an important aspect of knife collecting for me.

I believe today we do see some examples of the patronage model of old. I would rather see relationships referred to as that than as having a maker on retainer. ;)

Interesting subject. :thumbup:

I believe today we do see some examples of the patronage model of old. I would rather see relationships referred to as that than as having a maker on retainer. ;)

:foot: I guess I used the wrong words there. You hit it dead center. Every custom (or anything I've sent off to be modded) I have has a friendship with very cool people behind it.

:foot: I guess I used the wrong words there. You hit it dead center. Every custom (or anything I've sent off to be modded) I have has a friendship with very cool people behind it.

Sorry Charlie, didn't mean to imply I was was giving you a hard time over your choice of words. :)

If I may expand on the subject a little, I was wondering what folks thought about these patrons or maker's best customers (for lack of a better term) getting preferential treatment (discounts, no wait etc)?

Edit to add clarity: for example does a collectors who buys say 5-6 knives a year form a maker deserve better price/reduced wait time?

Last edited:
None taken Kevin ;)

I don't know about deals or wait times, but I do have a couple marked protos on the way. That's because I have asked him to make something for me that he's never made before. I've gone over my minutes before (700 plan) talking to Reese about knives :eek:

Edit to add clarity: for example does a collectors who buys say 5-6 knives a year form a maker deserve better price/reduced wait time?

In my opinion that's really for the maker to decide. I'm sure we all have our own opinions on what would be "fair" ( ;) ) but in the end the maker has to determine if the potential costs (tying himself to one or a few clients, potentially alienating a larger customer base, working at a reduced rate for the "guarantee" of having work) are outweighed by the benefits (less marketing required, having a steady revenue stream, etc.).

Probably the same cost/benefit analyses Michelangelo, da Vinci, and Mozart had to evaluate before seeking patronage. :p

I think it would be interesting to see a revival of the "patronage" model of old.

While this is good for the collector it is rarely good for the makers market.

if i have an order in with a maker and am told 5 years but the same few yahoos keep popping up with multiple knives every few months I will promptly cancel my order with the maker and encourage everyone else i know that has an order with the maker to do so. I think this is risky business for makers.

Back