On the hunt for an ideal EDC/hiking folder.

When I was younger and did backpacking and extended day hikes, an SAK was all the knife I ever needed.

I carry a rat 1 and a Leatherman PST for gen equipment repairs. This combo is low on weight and high on functionality. The Rat 1 or a Rat 2 are me EDC's as well.

I still do a few multi day backpacking trips yearly where miles and weight are factors (below pic from last year at this time). If you are carrying loads over rough terrain for multiple days.. You will be paying attention to weight. If I were younger and not so out off shape, I might bring a larger knife but the truth is... I could do with just the Leatherman. However, I am a knife guy and the convenience of a dedicated knife for those quick and simple tasks makes it worth it to me.

Last edited:
In recent years, I've done many day hikes with nothing more than a Vic Classic in the pocket. In the past, where overnighters were more common, it was a camper/scout pattern or a SAK. Truly, you don't need much, especially if you're viewing it as both an everyday carry item besides a hiker's knife.

Current for me is an Army Engineer's knife (4-blade scout/camper) and a Vic Classic, both onboard most days. When circumstances call for carrying less iron in the pockets, I go with the Classic alone. In any case, between the blade+tools on the camper, and the blade+tools on the Classic, I'm covered.

A multi-day backpacking trip would mean camper and Classic, plus perhaps a fixed blade, depending on the location, length of trip, expected activities, and so on. But that's well outside of the hike+EDC realm.

In a knife forum, we naturally lean toward knives. Backpackers tend to go minimalist: for them a Classic is a big heavy knife, and they look more on carrying a single-edge razor blade as their cutting tool.

I haven't really taken a look at Victorinox. I've got a Leatherman Wave multitool so I guess I'm looking for more of a dedicated cutting tool to hang off my belt or slip inside my pocket.

The Buck 110 is tempting and I really like their customizing options. Spyderco makes some beautiful blades and that Endura is calling my name. And there have been a bunch of other great suggestions I had never even heard of before I started this thread. I can see why collecting knives can easily become an addiction.

Back